Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 01:06 AM

Default Re: No Limit Hold \'em: Theory and Practice Q&A Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Anything on heads up strategy in this book?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on what you mean by "heads-up strategy." Is there a section called "Heads Up Strategy" where we talk about how to win a $5,000 freezout? No. In general, the book stays much more theoretical than that.

But there's a ton of stuff on how to make decisions in heads-up pots, and how to make some important preflop decisions in heads-up pots (not those that started heads-up, but those that became heads-up).

[ QUOTE ]
What existing nolimit holdem book is most threatened (to be obsolete) by this book?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really want to answer that question, as worded. I will say that no book presently available competes with our book in any appreciable way. It's unique. Whatever people say about it, they won't say, "Sure, that Sklansky/Miller book is ok, but I'd read X instead. It covers the same topics more clearly/in more depth." No book presently available covers the all the same topics (or even most of them).

[ QUOTE ]
By reading this book, can a pure nolimit holdem player (who could care less about all other games) do without having to read TOP, which is recommended almost by everybody? In other words, for a nolimit holdem purist, can this book serve as a substitute for TOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I wouldn't recommend skipping TOP. To some extent, this book is a bit more advanced than TOP. We take some knowledge from TOP for granted in this book (not to say that a smart person couldn't figure it out from the context), and TOP discusses some topics we don't spend much time on in this book.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does it compare to Ciaffone & Reuben's "No Limit and Pot Limit" book?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's different.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Will the book be made available through any of the online poker point stores (party or stars)?

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't control what the point stores do, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't get picked up by at least one of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, is there a section dedicated to shorthanded play or is the whole book geared for full tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no section called "Shorthanded play." Again, the book is generally more theoretical than that. It teaches you what to think about when you play no limit, and those concepts will be valuable in full ring games, in shorthanded games, in heads-up games, in tournaments, etc.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:11 AM

Default psychology?

Is there anything about nolimit holdem psychology discussed?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:15 AM

Default Re: psychology?

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything about nolimit holdem psychology discussed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there is.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:18 AM

Thanks, Ed. I've been waiting for it for a while. I'm glad there's a more or less definite release date. I assume you're still not going to reveal the table of contents. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2006, 01:38 AM

Any discussion on game theory Ed?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:44 AM

Hey Ed,

Can you post a picture of the cover, or is that a no-no?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:31 AM

No hand charts? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sorry, couldn't resist...haha

[ QUOTE ]
It's doesn't have a lot of "do this, don't do that" advice (like SSHE)... it is mostly a book about how to think about the game. It's about how to evaluate decisions, and it teaches you what's important to think about and what's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, we don't want some non cookie cutter book around here. We want DEFINITIVE BABY!!! Non of this, 'it depends' crap... (oops, there I went again... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

Seriously, it sounds like an interesting read. Can't wait to take a look at it.

I think you're right in another response when you said some good limit guys just won't be able to cross over. I'm not so sure it's about them 'getting it'(conceptwise) as it is that they just don't like the thought of risking that much at any one time. They really are 2 different animals.

b
Old 04-21-2006, 03:27 AM

Ed,

Congrats! So what book are you working on now? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Just kidding, of course. The real question is, are you coming down for Jazz Fest? It will be your last chance to run into me before I read your book and become the greatest no-limit player of all time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Mike