Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2006, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Taking first Philosophy class this semester, help me pass

dude...im sorry but eat me. I am in fact a business major and this class is required. What will I learn, that I exist and should think accordingly? what makes up an argument? what is a premise? It's a bull class filled with bull questioned designed for people like to wear berets and smoke cigarettes while listening to indie music. in other words: hippie emo douches.

and btw, i wasn't asking for your opinion on whether the class was worth something or not. i wanted to know how to pass or seem like i knew what i was tlaking about. bluffthis answered my question.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:45 AM

Don't be a psychologist, be a carpet layer. Psychologist's should be able to relate with a large sample size of personality types, carpet layers need only know a particular function. You will go further with a well rounded education if you want to be a psychologist.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude...im sorry but eat me. I am in fact a business major and this class is required. What will I learn, that I exist and should think accordingly? what makes up an argument? what is a premise? It's a bull class filled with bull questioned designed for people like to wear berets and smoke cigarettes while listening to indie music. in other words: hippie emo douches.

[/ QUOTE ]

With this attitude you should have no trouble acing the class.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:58 AM

I find it incredibly ironic that a business major thinks some class is worthless. At the undergrad level, business classes are the most ridiculously easy and pointless classes imaginable. Any philosophy major could make a 4.0 as a business major at any school, let alone someone majoring in the hard sciences or math. If you don't want to actually learn things in college, go drop out and found your own business. You'll learn a lot more about business that way than you will in school and you won't have to pay tuition or take philosophy. Your ignorance of what philosophy is and why it is worth studying are exactly why people should have to take these classes.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:58 AM

Right. That's why they have classes on personality development as part of the psych program.

The job market doesn't care about a well rounded education any more than college cares about your high school gym class.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:01 AM

You know, usually I'm in here defending said liberal hippieism against belligerent conseratvive traditionalists, but I completely agree with you, that aspect of college is totally gay.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right. That's why they have classes on personality development as part of the psych program.

The job market doesn't care about a well rounded education any more than college cares about your high school gym class.

[/ QUOTE ]

What fields of study, if any, should not be career track oriented in your opinion?
Old 01-11-2006, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You are absolutely correct. The job market cares about what college you went to, who you know, and what your credit score is. Going to college is a once in a lifetime opportunity that actually has little to do with the job market (for most people). It has everything to do with meeting friends who on average will turn out to be successful, having fun, and learning obscure things like music appreciation that you will never again in your lifetime, take the time to learn.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:25 AM

What do you mean exactly?

I'm of the opinion that to graduate with a BA in X, you should have to complete the 40-some credits needed for X. If you want to learn some other stuff, that's cool too, take it as a side, but don't count it toward X since it has nothing to do with it.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:38 AM

Yeah, that's the cool aspect of college [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I spent four years living in a special interest dormitory; vast majority of residents were art students. Lots of cool people, interesting dicussion, cultural influence, events, etc. Very, very liberal. Best time of my life, hands down.

Classes still completely sucked though; I learned more about life from staying up discussing philosophy with people under heavy THC influence and sleeping through the afternoon than I would have from taking notes about Professor Liberalcock's theory of pompous canine scatology.