Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2006, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Hidden LA Restaurants \"best buys\"

[ QUOTE ]
Pho 99 - Vietnamese on Wilshire almost in Santa Monica - Really good Pho and spring rolls

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah, I thought I was the only one who knew about this place! I live like, 3 blocks away. Try the Banh mi!

Also, I like Benito's Tacos over on Santa Monica, at the intersection of Federal. (there is one in Hollywood, also on Santa Monica Blvd at highland, but I've never been there.) The rolled tacos are crunchy just the way I like em.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:07 PM

Al,

Mmmmm Porto's. My roommate got some potato balls the other day. I had to eat some first, apologize later. I'm so going to the Burbank one soon. Is it as crowded as the Glendale one? That one is a madhouse on the weekends. But everything on the menu is so cheap and good.

I used to like Noshi, but I don't think the quality of fish is that great compared to some other places like Sushi Gen in J-Town and Ita-Cho on Beverly while not being super cheap. I also like my sashimi cut smaller than the huge pieces they serve. Plus, it is cash only. The dynamite is good, though.

Shant,

I like CCC for things other than the chicken itself(salads, pasta salads, etc). Plus the one on Melrose is close to my place and it's a nice quick and dirty option. I also use a lot of Tapatio or Cholula on the chicken. I would totally get Zankou more often but I just don't want to drive out to it. I agree the chicken is much tastier at Zankou. Lala's is also good and cheap for a nice cut of meat.

Pink's is so overrated it's not even funny. The line is ridiculous all hours of the day and the hot dogs aren't that tasty. I am still looking for a good hot dog place in LA that rivals Top Dog in Berkeley.

CC,

Benito's is good only for late-night drunken eats. Their burritos aren't very good, the rolled tacos are ok, though.

Mario's is also a great hole-in-the-wall place, walking distance from my house too. Ceviche and the Chicken Saltado. Every time guests stay, they want to eat it, so I try not to eat it when guests aren't around or I'll get sick of it.

DN
Old 04-20-2006, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sushi Mac - not the greatest sushi, but maybe the greatest value. All rolls/2 pc sushi is $2.50 each.

[/ QUOTE ]

2.75 now. Still awesome.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sushi Mac - not the greatest sushi, but maybe the greatest value. All rolls/2 pc sushi is $2.50 each.

[/ QUOTE ]

2.75 now. Still awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Best part about Sushi Mac is the loud trance music and the signs around the place that explain that the loud music will not be turned down.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lala's - Argentinian on Melrose - Great food at great prices

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my favorite places for a steak, and it's just a few blocks from me.

Shauna
Old 04-21-2006, 02:25 PM

DN - Top Dog! Makes me wish I went to Berkeley for undergrad. Ever go to Rosamund's Grille in Lower Haight? I think it's (somehow) even better than Top Dog. I don't mind Pink's and it was cool when they had it at the Bike.

Good description of Noshi - the dynamite is the best I've ever had it's so mayonaissey and intense but delicious.

Porto's in Burbank is pretty damn crowded during the work week, but I bet it's much less crowded on the weekends.

Shant - never been to Sushi Mac, I gotta check it out.

-Al
Old 04-21-2006, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
never been to Sushi Mac, I gotta check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
The sushi is OK but the real draw is that everything is $2.75. Don't go expecting great sushi or ambience.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
never been to Sushi Mac, I gotta check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
The sushi is OK but the real draw is that everything is $2.75. Don't go expecting great sushi or ambience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the ambiance. Non-pretentious, young chefs that bob their heads to the loud 80s music that they "refuse to turn down"(as you mention).

I agree, you won't be blown away, but it's decent(the spicy mayonnaise sauce is delicious) and one of the only places where you can eat a decent sushi meal for under $15. The Spicy Dynamite and the Spicy Tempura on Spicy Tuna are good(me likey spicy).

There is also a Sushi Mac on Sawtelle, south of Olympic in a mall-type area. A little smaller but I think all the chefs are young, female Japanese. They're nothing special, though.

I haven't eaten at the Mac in almost a year. This thread will definitely end that streak sometime soon.

DN
Old 04-21-2006, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DN - Top Dog! Makes me wish I went to Berkeley for undergrad. Ever go to Rosamund's Grille in Lower Haight? I think it's (somehow) even better than Top Dog. I don't mind Pink's and it was cool when they had it at the Bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top Dog was awesome. The true sign of it's excellence was that you could eat the hot dog with just ketchup and it was still delicious. I didn't go into SF very often during my undergrad stint at Cal(too poor and lazy), but I will definitely check Rosamund's Grille out when I go up for my buddy's law school graduation.

I could see how Pink's could be good at the Bike. I don't think it's terrible, but everytime I drive by that ridiculous line at the actual shop, I think about how overrated it is.

DN
Old 04-21-2006, 06:20 PM

Don't get me wrong, my favorite part about Sushi Mac is the fact that the music volume is displayed as a rule on a sign. Also, that spicy mayo is what makes Sushi Mac. I just felt like a disclaimer was warranted because it isn't your normal sushi spot.