Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2006, 12:59 AM

Default Re: May 1st, 2006

Do illegal immigrants have a large % of political activists among them? If not, I'm skeptical that a significant # will take time off work to go to make a political statement.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I imagine that the employers will simply plan for this and compensate by staffing workers that are willing to work that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

You falsely assume that this is an option. When I worked as a landscaper I was part of a ten man team. I was one of 3 non illegal workers (and another of these three was the foreman, so he doesnt really count).

The business could not function without illegal immigrants.

[/ QUOTE ]
What would the U.S. do without landscapers?!?!?!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:45 AM

Default Perforce

[ QUOTE ]
The result will be that they will “show us” that we can get along just fine without them.

[/ QUOTE ] Market forces are supposed to be stronger than legislation. (If, for example, the price of gasoline at the pump was set by law to be fifty cents per gallon, some gas stations would start charging extra for it -illegally. Plus, there would be a gasoline shortage.)

If workers are employed at the salary rate they are now working, this means that the market demands it and can afford it. (For "market", read "employers".) Therefore, the question is not whether they are illegal or not but whether the market demands their work or not. And since the market has already voted on this (yes, the market needs the immigrants), you cannot say that you can get along fine without them.

No, you cannot -- quite obviously.

Of course, if the need arises (e.g. if all the immigrants were to die tomorrow), the country would adjust and most probably continue to function without them. But at greater cost than today. Quite obviously.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Illegal immigrants apparently plan on “flexing their muscles” once again in protest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely the plan can't be for only illegals to participate in the stoppage. Immigrants of all stripes who support a smart and fair approach to immigration policy will be participating in the action.

I think the idea, in part, is to gently help folks like OP realize that all immigrants and brown people are not here illegally. Probably a flaw in their plan.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Immigrants of all stripes who support a smart and fair approach to immigration policy will be participating in the action.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, what would be smart and fair?
[ QUOTE ]
I think the idea, in part, is to gently help folks like OP realize that all immigrants and brown people are not here illegally.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don’t project your racism onto me. I said nothing of “brown people” or “legal” immigrants and have no problem with either.
The last protest gently helped the OP to realize how out of control the problem really is.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:04 PM

We have enough low skilled bible thumping type workers who can take up where the mexicans left off
Old 04-23-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Immigrants of all stripes who support a smart and fair approach to immigration policy will be participating in the action.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, what would be smart and fair?

[/ QUOTE ]

For a start: 1. Actually secure and strengthen borders absent the political grandstanding. GOP is split between business constituency that wants unregulated labor market and nativists who fear "reconquista". I would throw in securing the ports by inspecting more than 1/20th of the arriving shipping containers. 2. Protect jobs and wages of American workers by raising minimum wage and requiring employers to pay it to all of their employees. 3. Allow immigrants who pay taxes and obey the law to earn the responsibilities of U.S. citizenship.

In sum, continue to be the America that was built by immigrants and has historically be open to immigrants.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the idea, in part, is to gently help folks like OP realize that all immigrants and brown people are not here illegally.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don’t project your racism onto me. I said nothing of “brown people” or “legal” immigrants and have no problem with either.
The last protest gently helped the OP to realize how out of control the problem really is.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the problem as you see it and what was it about the last protests that made you think that problem is out of control?