Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Re: better politics forums

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather not censor what issues can and can't be discussed. One can always just ignore threads that aren't of interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

*applause* [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2006, 04:59 PM

i used to check out www.fark.com sometimes; the political articles get lots of great comments/flamewars started.

bbb
Old 04-18-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any suggestions for better politics forums? Something with a good spread of opinions and a sprinkling of well-informed/expertise-endowed posters would be ideal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be hard to find. Most dedicated politics forums are unabashedly slanted. You will only find forums with a mix of opinions in places like this, that exist for some other reason but have a politics forum on the side.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:42 PM

andy,

I do have a suggestion. And that is to limit the number of threads that can be started by a poster in this forum per week or month, and suspend violators for a time. This would help alleviate troll clutter and prevent just a few issues from overwhelming the forum.

Of course I will use part of my allotment to advocate not the strawman "genocide of moslems" the OP refers to, but the firm resistance to and destruction of those moslem nations/groups that won't stop supporting terrorism or military action against other nations and Christianity.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any suggestions for better politics forums? Something with a good spread of opinions and a sprinkling of well-informed/expertise-endowed posters would be ideal. This one used to be decent but its degeneration into the repetition of mastubatory fantasies regarding either the nuclear genocide of Muslims or the secret machinations of th3 r3al 911 planners is making it unreadable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you care about opinions. You should care about the truth and about the method that leads you there.

Also: http://www.freedomainradio.com/board/forums/
Old 04-18-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you care about opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we arent all talking point repeating robots like you seem to be. . .
Old 04-18-2006, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
andy,

I do have a suggestion. And that is to limit the number of threads that can be started by a poster in this forum per week or month, and suspend violators for a time. This would help alleviate troll clutter and prevent just a few issues from overwhelming the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this idea. We can deal with problem posters and threads without making everyone else have to worry about the exact number of threads they've started during a particular period of time.

Still, people who are only here to troll need to give it up if they wish to continue posting on 2+2.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:32 PM

Cola,

There are 2 problems here overall:

1) Trolls and troll-like threads (NOT talking about just holding controversial views obviously);

2) Certain topics generating so many threads on what is virtually the same discussion in each.

With #2 this isn't a troll problem, but people not bumping or continuing in a thread already on topic.

With #1 this is a gray area obviously, but I will say most though not all of the poll threads fall into the troll category and are deserving of deletion.

How big of an imposition would it really be for all posters in this forum to have a limit for the number of threads they could start in a month (not talking about reply posts)? And although you and andy say you can deal with problem posters/threads, the lack of locking of threads more often to me indicates that such a potential isn't being realized enough.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:17 PM

I feel this forum is moderated very well, and personally see no need for any big changes. Some people want more moderation, and others want less. No moderation style is ever going to please everyone.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:22 PM

Cola,

I don't have a problem with the way yourself and andy mod this forum in general, as of course with a forum where most of the discussion is just personal opinion, there needs to be a lot of leeway. But locking a couple more threads occasionally wouldn't seem to me to be overmodding the forum.