Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Re: So What About Iran?

I'm afraid I agree.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 PM

It seems to me it's not just Bush and/or the media. Everyone, from John Kerry to Jacques Chirac have been fulminating at Iran. I see that Hamas defended the suicide bomb in Tel Aviv today as a legitimate and justified thing. Surely a new round of tit for tat violence is imminent in Israel/Palestine as well.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:16 PM

This can be solved very easily if Israel destroys its nukes and allows the atomic energy inspectors unfettered access to their sites. Why should Iran cease its program when Israel has all its missles pointed at Tehran?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me it's not just Bush and/or the media. Everyone, from John Kerry to Jacques Chirac have been fulminating at Iran. I see that Hamas defended the suicide bomb in Tel Aviv today as a legitimate and justified thing. Surely a new round of tit for tat violence is imminent in Israel/Palestine as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
We can't forget that it's not just Bush who has been polling low approval ratings. Congress has been doing even worse, and a "successful" campaign in Iran would most likely help out a lot.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Tehran says its nuclear program is entirely peaceful and meant for producing nuclear power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the Times miss the boat, or did you jump the gun?

[/ QUOTE ]

The times missed a very interesting quote.

http://www.keralaonline.com/news/new...php?newsid=911

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad on Thursday said that the world must treat Iran as a nuclear power.

Also watch the first few seconds:
http://www.spcwashington.com/media/041306.wmv

There was a video of him talking w/ a translator but I can't find it. Of course this quote could easily have a "double" meaning, but demanding the respect of a 'N' power is a little telling.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:22 PM

Israel has not been without its fault either. I see them going into Iran Before the USA. Go into Iran and big trouble.
Any more problems there and Oil could hit $80 this year
Old 04-17-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any possibility of surgical strikes without occupation?

[/ QUOTE ]

The rumor right now is air strikes with regime change. The regime change would be done like it was in Afghanistan. Special forces working with locals to form a coup. Air strikes to take out the nuclear sites and Iran's conventional weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Afghanistan and Iran are totally different. Putting as many troops into Iran as we did in Aghanistan is not even remotely on the table.

The plan for regime change seems to be a simple, and unbelievably stupid one: Bomb the hell out of the country and hope it leads to an uprising. Sure, we might have a couple special forces guys dicking around, talking to the so-called "resistance." But there really isn't a large organized opposition to the Iranian regime, much less a large organized armed opposition. And bombing tends to make people rally around the nation.

I don't know whether the idea of regime change accompanying bombing reflects a totally naivete among some in the adminstration, or it is being used to sell a bill of goods. Whatever the case may be, its not happening.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Give the land controlled by Israel back to the Palestinians?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have read about 20 posts by this guy and I don't understand how a troll can have over 1200 posts
Old 04-17-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Where\'s the Friggen UN When You Need \'em?

I guess not too many on this forum has too much faith in UN sanctions. I have little regard for sanctions as well. Isn't this the kind of "crises" or what have you that the UN is supposed to deal with? Why the heck is the US in the UN anyway if the UN is so inept and corrupt that it's not useful in circumstances that exist with those like Iran? Still long energy including oil related companies FWIW basically because I see peaceful diplomacy has having little to no chance of succeeding and I see the possibility of disruptions in oil production to be quite high.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any possibility of surgical strikes without occupation?

[/ QUOTE ]

The rumor right now is air strikes with regime change. The regime change would be done like it was in Afghanistan. Special forces working with locals to form a coup. Air strikes to take out the nuclear sites and Iran's conventional weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Afghanistan and Iran are totally different. Putting as many troops into Iran as we did in Aghanistan is not even remotely on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong. I have heard a couple former US generals put this battle plan on the table. Like it or not, this is the most likely option at this point to be attempted.