Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Golf Books

Yes a lesson will make golf 100% more enjoyable, as opposed to learning the game yourself. I would suggest that you read "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Bob Rotella. It does not deal with swing mechanics, but it will improve your game just as much as anything. If not more. the first time I ever broke 80 was the day after I finished this book.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:42 PM

guids,

I have Rotella and Pelz books on a pdf file on my home computer pm if you'd like it. There both great books. Rotella is a master of the golf psyche and Pelz data with his book is pure gold and you will learn a lot from it, have met the guy a few times with my magazine (he writes an article in it) and very nice and can break down his thoughts very well for the newb.

PM me or anyone if else if they want those files though.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:48 PM

I learn much better by reading, but I will get some of the books suggested here, try and refine my [censored] swing, when Im at a plateau, I will get some lessons. Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:52 PM

If you have a digital camera or camcorder than you can record your swing and compare to a pro on your tv or computer. This was the best thing I ever did for my golf game.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:50 PM

Ingredients to improving your game:

-Lessons with a good teacher, not all club pros are good teachers. Ask around, find out who competitive players in your area get lessons from. You may also look up who the best playing pros in the section are (pga.com). In general, better players are better teachers.

-Good books:
David Leadbetter Faults and Fixes is my fave, you can make lots of progress with that book and and a full length mirror.

Harvey Penick's books are old school but still have great wisdom.

W. Timothy Gallwey, The Inner Game of TENNIS is very applicable to golf as well, (and more succinct than his golf book)

Dave Pelz is about my least favorite author, as his outlook is way too analytical for the ART of the short game, and his ideas about a straight-back, straight-through putting stroke are flawed (IMO).

Other good tools:
Video camera
Eyeline with Plane by Eyeline Golf for a pure putting arc

Practice makes PERMANENT, so be careful how you practice.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:09 PM

Ok, sorry guids for the somewhat hijack. But for those that PM'd me for the PDF files, there are two hiccups. 1) I can't find the Rotella file and 2) I am not sure if all of your e-mails will support me sending you a 12.5 meg file, so if anyone knows a place for me to upload the Pelz book or someone has space please let me know.

I'm uploading the file on my e-mail right now and will try sending it out.

Spero
Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 PM

Here is the link for the Pelz file. I uploaded it to a free site

http://www.savefile.com/files/5807835

If anyone is ever intersted in talking golf or getting a OOT golf outing going please contact me. I'm not so much new to the site but new to posting.

My resume:

Professional Writer
Own A Regional Golf Magazine
Collegiate Golfer
Former Assistant Golf Coach, Men's + Women's Golf D-1
Athletic Advisor
ect,ect,ect. boring stuff really.

Favorite Sport? No not golf, basketball sorry sorry
Old 04-16-2006, 06:50 PM

Well, I started caddying at age 13, I’m a single-digit player with a few trophies, I’ve served on a club greens committee, I’ve been a starter and a marshall, I’ve been part a Senior Tour press operation, I’ve written about golf, I’ve owned more books on the subject than I can count, I’ve seen every player of note – live -- from Hogan to Woods, hell… I even had a pro loop once.

And I can’t think of one instructional book I’d whole-heartedly recommend.

You have to dig this game out of the dirt and, first, you need a teacher to show you how. Lessons first. Then practice three times more than you play. And practice your short game three times more than your long game. Keep going back to your teaching pro. Give him that money you were going to spend on that silly new driver. He’s far better value.

Equipment marketing is irrelevant, but equipment fit is vital… Fresh grips, the correct size (don’t forget the bottom hand). The proper shaft for your swing speed and ball flight. A club head that appeals to your eye.

When you do play, just play (and please play fast). Don’t think about anything but course management (and having fun). Leave the golf course in better shape than you found it.

Then, if you want to read, try Bernard Darwin. Maybe Herbert Warren Wind and Bobby Jones. Good writing about golf pretty much ends there.

After you’ve hit a few thousand balls, you might try David Leadbetter’s “The Fundamentals of Hogan.” It’s a technical look at the seminal classic.

If there’s just one thing that’s informed my game more than any other, it’s visualizing rhythm. Think Freddie Couples, Ernie Els, any number of women professionals. Preview yourself making an effortless swing like they do.

Class dismissed…
Old 04-16-2006, 07:16 PM

Dave Pelz's Putting Bible.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:24 PM

Get Steve Elkington's book. It has some very insightful advice and great pictures of one of the best and most simple swings ever. It also has a picture of each position of his swing on the corner of each page that allows you to flip the pages and see his beautiful action in motion. I think this is definitely the best book when it comes to learning the golf swing.

Ive heard the Dave Pelz books are good and the Bob Rotella psychology books are definitely worth a read too. Also, you should take a look at Tiger's book.