Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2006, 05:52 AM

Default Re: flopped set. how\'s my line?

[ QUOTE ]
?

[/ QUOTE ]
?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
?

[/ QUOTE ]
?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only assume the question mark was a reference to how little sense your post made, and how it was hardly english.

btw sorry if it's not your first language or whatever.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lead the flop? assume that someone with top pair will either call or raise? build a big pot early? this is fun for me. i dont usually feel so stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's a start.

The way you played this hand out you set it up so you could only win a big pot with a miracle.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:14 AM

i'm starting to pick up on that. want to hold my hand through the rest of it?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:22 AM

lol. the reason I'm being ambiguous is cause it's best to learn why you should be leading here and not check/calling. if all i did was say "lead," you wouldn't really learn much now would you?

Ok, but I will hold your hand now.

On the flop, sometimes checking here is ok, although in general I prefer a lead. When you lead here you will tend to get maximum value out of 9s, and if there are huge donks hanging around, you will get value out of 5s, and 67, and whatever else. A bet of 600 seems good here, as you want to really build this pot now, before any bad card comes off to kill your action. Think, if one of these players has T9 (which is a reasonably likely hand), what is the best thing you can do here? You want to really bomb this pot now before an ace, or a king, or any other gross cards come off and he can get away easily. When I say T9, I am just using 1 hand in a range of hands that you can stack now, especially against bad opponents.

Ok but you decided to check, so lets work with that now. Once the action gets back to you, just calling is near suicide. If the CO has any gutshot straight draw you are giving him beautiful implied odds to stack you, and if UTG has a made hand which he likes, you are setting yourself up to lose value on almost every turn card. When the action gets back to you you should just drop the bomb on this flop. Raise to at least 900. See the problem with a check raise here though, is you are really giving top pair the best chance to fold now that you are raising into 2 players OOP. Any thinking player should be able to lay down top pair to this action, and this is a good example of why you need to lead more often than not on this board.

You seem to be so obsessed with giving your opponents rope to hang themselves, when in reality you could have just shot them in the head yourself.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:31 AM

i figured that was why you were being so subtly helpful.

i'd only thought through why i didn't want to checkraise the flop. am i to understand that i'm resigned to winning only the blinds if no one likes this flop? i'm inclined to think that i want to maximize my winnings when i flop a set. so i wanted to slowplay a bit. obviously, a bit too much here. thanks for the help.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be so obsessed with giving your opponents rope to hang themselves, when in reality you could have just shot them in the head yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very Nice.

Got a question myself. I agree that getting as much money in the pot as soon as possible is the best way to get full value from this hand, but at the same time, this board is pretty safe to try and extract maximum value without too much risk (from draws). Would you really bet 900 into pot of 750 on that check raise and risk losing the weak tighty who will call smaller bets on each street with the 109os?? My normal move is to try and milk this as much as possibe and raise to around pot or 3/4 pot. Should I be jamming for more here then???
Old 04-11-2006, 06:36 AM

Lead the flop. If you're raised either call and check-raise the turn or 3-bet it. If you're called, either lead or check-raise the turn.
Which line you take depends on how many and which villains are sticking with you through the hand.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:37 AM

Raising to 900 is 3/4ths pot..
Old 04-11-2006, 06:41 AM

My bad, didnt read the thing properly. Glad my thinking there wasn't way off at least.