Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 08:35 PM

Default Re: NL100 KK gets checkraised twice

Everytime hero pushed a button, it was ugly.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:35 PM

All:

Thanks for the quick responses / debate. It's interesting to read.

However, there is one decision that is being ignored and that is whether to call the all-in or not. Even if it isn't worth talking about (I agree that it's probably the least interesting decision), a simple 'call' or 'fold' would work. Just want to see who says what.

You guys can try to put villain on a hand too if you want, I think that would be interesting.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A 17/8 isn't raising with Jx unless he has an Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have made a mistake including this in the OP. Hero hasn't been at the table for long and doesn't have a history with villain. It's doubtful that he has these stats when the hand takes place.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:43 PM

I fold it. I dont know what the guy has because the KK was played so goofy the guy could try this with a variety of holdings, most of these holdings beat us. The 17/8 or whatever and the preflop play point that we may be getting blown off of our hand, but i try to pick my marginal spots against 40/19s.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:13 PM

As played, I fold because I can't say that I'm ahead enough to warrant calling such an overbet.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:15 PM

I call the all-in. While i'm having a tough time finding the motivation for either players line it appears as though Villain is even more confused than Hero. I put him on a pocket pair either with or without a spade.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:23 PM

Fold, I put villain on flush a(kq or t).
Old 04-11-2006, 03:27 PM

So what did villain have?

I still think he had a pair that he didn't know what to do with. The spade on the turn got him riled up one way or another. Either scared of a 4-flush board or counted spades as more outs and a reason to push.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:49 PM

Tarheel, you were dead on.

Villain had 99. To make matters worse I was villain. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I don't know that a flop CR was really the best line to take with 99. I doubt that it was. If I'm ahead on this board I'm probably not getting any more action on the turn anyway and can either check it down or get to a pretty cheap showdown.

But given my flop action, and "Hero's" turn bet of $10 into a $40 pot, I just felt like he was weak. I didn't think he had a jack and I also didn't think he just hit a flush. I don't know, I guess I had no idea what he had but I just felt like he was weak. And being that I believed he didn't have a jack or a flush, I didn't think there was any way he could call an all-in. I was really surprised to see one pair flipped up on that board to that action, especially given how weak he had played up to that point.

It's very possible that my opponent rationalized that my action wasn't consistent with any good made hand, save an oddly played flush, and called after thinking about that. But I suspect it's more likely he's the type of player who slowplays big pairs pre-flop and who has never folded an overpair after the flop and never will.

FWIW, I don't like the way either of us played the hand. I think I did a great job of putting villain on a hand (or rather on a range of hands he didn't have). However I think I did a terrible job of representing something that he should fold a weak made hand to. And therein lies my problem.