Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Help me have the best first time cigar experience.

I think bourbon goes much better w/ a cigar, but thats my personal taste, as all this type of stuff is only about personal taste. Im not a big fan of a lot of cigars, I think padrons (even the anniversery editions) are way overrated adn harsh, I like smoother ones. H Upmann Vintage Cameroons are great imo. Have teh guy at the cigar shop cut it for you if you dont have one, and also ask him for a cedar strip so you can light that w/ matches, then light the cigar. You dont want to use paper matches, or a zippo etc.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:42 PM

i smoke cigars every once in a while with a friend because we get a kick out of it. i don't smoke so i usually get a pretty big buzz from it.

just go to a huge liquor/party supply that has a cigar room and pick out whatever fancy sounding cigar you want. an old man told me the darker ones are harsher, and the lighter ones smoother.

my friend chooses his on the rating some of them have, and whether or not they come in a fancy tube.

be careful when cutting it or you will have it unravel and be a mangled mess, evidenced below in picture.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:50 PM

Just for reference, the color (color of the wrapper), has nothing to do with harsh/smoothness. Look at Cigar Afficiano's website, they should have their top 100 cigars listed. Pick a couple out of the top 10 and try them.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:04 PM

My first time smoking I smoked a Fuente Fuente Opus X (I think). A friend gave it to me for New Years, smoked it at midnight this past new Years. He said it was a great cigar, anyone know anything about this particular cigar?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first time smoking I smoked a Fuente Fuente Opus X (I think). A friend gave it to me for New Years, smoked it at midnight this past new Years. He said it was a great cigar, anyone know anything about this particular cigar?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is going to sound like a typical OOT reaction, but the only thing that makes that cigar good for most people is the price tag. Its overrated, imo. The real question: did you like it? Thats imo what cigars booze etc comes down to. IF you like phililes blunts, and you think it tastes good, imo, great. If you like the opus becuase it costs 20$, I think you are retarded.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:18 PM

I didn't know how much it cost, and I didn't have anything to compare it to at the time, so I couldn't really judge whether I liked it or not. It makes me laugh that you mention Phillies, cuz I smoke those with my college buds more than any other cigars. They aren't bad I guess. I don't think I'm yet experienced enough to like one cigar a whole lot more than another.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:28 PM

I've started looking into this myself as I've smoked them a couple time before, but had no clue and just bought whatever.

From what I have heard and read, Padron 3000 seem to be a very good cigar for a low price ($4 and under I think). Have not had a chance to try it, but I have been hearing it is very good quality for a low price, a good introductory cigar.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I once puked after smoking a cigar. i didnt eat the whole day before smoking it, how nonstandard is that? I also puked from smoking tobacco from a hooka once, after eating a lot of sushi ):

[/ QUOTE ]

First time I smoked a non-cheap ass cigar I felt nauseous halfway through and gave it to my friend. I laid down on the deck for about 45 minutes and felt like we were on the ocean. Definitely would have puked if I had smoked anymore of it. My experiences since then have been a lot better.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you've never smoked a cigar or cigarette before and you inhale it, you will get a huge nicotine high.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and then turn green and promptly throw-up. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 PM

Well the only advice I can give you is to get a mild cigar. I can't tell too much of a difference between cigars, but a brand I like is Ashton. They are kind of expensive, usually $8-12 around where I live, but they are nice and smooth. Or just ask the guy in the cigar shop for advice on smoking a cigar your first time. Also light the cigar with a match and rotate it at a 45 degree angle while taking puffs. It can sometimes be tricky to light evenly.