Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: AK vs. Suited JT strategy debate

[ QUOTE ]

It doesn't completely. If he wants to play I'm willing to play against him with the small edge. I just don't want to give him the false sense that he can re-raise me off a blind steal and then take a close race for my tournament life. Which he's demonstrated repeatedly that he likes to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a opponent this aggressive, I think a push is best here. I'd much rather have +1.5 bb 90% of the time (and probably be ahead the 10% of the time he calls) than
busting 40% of the time.

Also, I have a feeling that this opponent insta-calls AT+
which is the only hands I'd want to encourage action on.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:03 PM

A lot of players like that would reraise there with a hand like Ax, or have there K being dominated with a hand such as K10, KJ, KQ. Therefore, by assuming he has a non dominating hand and you have a hand that can accumulate a lot more chips makes sense to me.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:42 PM

With your big raise, and the amount of chips you left behind, you practically told him you had a top 4 hand. So it was easy for him to lay it down. If you made a standard raise, there is no way this guy is getting away from ths hand. If he's been coming over the top of you consistently, then you have to assume he's been doing it with comprabable/weaker hands than that.

What "better" situation are you exactly looking for. If your waiting for AA,KK, or even QQ than get in line behind all the other dead money at your table. In this situation there is a chance that he might have a weaker ace. Thats as good as it gets besides PP over PP this late in the tourny. I'm sure there wern't too many flops at this point so playing poker gets modified and geared more torwards preflop. There is no limping at this stage in the game (unless you come in behind a bunch of other limpers).
Old 02-02-2006, 04:01 PM

I almost voted for the all in move. The question I have to ask is what you do with your standard raise if villian moves all in after the flop? Are you pushing against any flop? There is nothing wrong with your line of thinking here. You have an M of <5, so taking down the blinds and antes without risking a bad flop isn't a bad thing. There is also merit in trying to milk this agressive opponent. WOW.......looks like I'm changing my mind more than John Kerry!
Old 02-02-2006, 05:42 PM

Remeber, you do have to eventually double up sometime. Now seems like an excellent spot to go for it. Your nemesis's range is wide enough to justify this gamble. By taking the blinds, you have bought yourself one orbit (and actually a little less than that if you calculate the amount of time each hand/orbit takes and divide it by the time left in the round, you will come up with your M or ratio of chips to pot in an even more precise total. I know this is meticulous, but at this stage in the tourny, you can't put off the inevitable which is trying to double up. Better sooner than later).
Old 02-02-2006, 06:34 PM

Just a thought: how bad is a limp here? Has this guy shown any propensity to pop limpers from the blinds? Any chance the action goes limp, button fold, SB fold, villain raises, you re-raise all in? Meh, that still probably gets all your chips in the middle for a race...

I like the all-in push, because you stand to pick up the blinds, and maybe you get a call from a hand you're dominating, like Ax or KQ, KJ, and the under card hands you're racing with (QJ, T8s, whatever) are going to fold. If villain has a pocket pair, it's all going in preflop anyways, as there's no way you're laying down AK here.

I'd push and show if it folds out.