Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 04:36 PM

Default Re: WSOP $1k Event Structure.

PokerStars will only allow FPPs to be used in TELEVISED WSOP Events.

Given that NONE of the 2006 WSOP Preliminary Bracelet events are currently scheduled for ESPN TV coverage (that could of course change with the top tier pros continuing to lobby for TV coverage for the $50000 buy-in hybrid HORSE/No Limit event), this discussion is essentially moot.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Given that NONE of the 2006 WSOP Preliminary Bracelet events are currently scheduled for ESPN TV coverage (that could of course change with the top tier pros continuing to lobby for TV coverage for the $50000 buy-in hybrid HORSE/No Limit event), this discussion is essentially moot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not televising the $50000 HORSE is insane. That is almost certain to be one of the best final tables ever.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not televising the $50000 HORSE is insane. That is almost certain to be one of the best final tables ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they don't televis it I'm sure Cardplayer can do the same thing they did last year in the ME
Old 04-19-2006, 05:53 PM

I've always wondered, when they remove the 25 dollar chips after that the lowest are 100 dollar chips. What if a guy has 3 25 dollar chips left ? Do they just give him a 100 chip instead ? Just like rounding it up ?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:00 PM

The energy and excitement of the first day is well worth participating in the event, even if the structure in the beginning lends to a crapshoot.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always wondered, when they remove the 25 dollar chips after that the lowest are 100 dollar chips. What if a guy has 3 25 dollar chips left ? Do they just give him a 100 chip instead ? Just like rounding it up ?

[/ QUOTE ]
They perform a "race-off".
Each player who has left over chips (in this example we'll use $25) places them in front and the dealer shuffles and cuts the deck. The dealer starting with seat 1 turns one continuous card face up for each chip. Some players will have one chip (some also will have zero chips) and some could have up to 3 chips in front of them. Once all the cards are distributed the dealer collects all the $25 chips leaving the cards on the table. The dealer will combine the $25 chips and then exchange them 4:1 for $100 chips (e.g. 12 total $25 chips will yield 3 $100 chips).
The dealer will then look to distribute the $100 chips to the player(s) with the highest card (rank then suit). Each player can recieve a maximum of 1 chip, so the 3 players with the highest cards will each get a chip. The suits from highest to lowest are: Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs. It is easy to remember this by noting that they are reverse alphabetical order.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:14 PM

i really think that yeah, you are going to have to catch a few hands early, but with the blinds going up once an hour and starting at 25/25, there will be more skill involved than you'd think. i think the biggest crapshoot here is going to be your table draw.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Waitwaitwait... so none of the preliminary events are slated for TV coverage this year? Weren't several of them televised last year, or am I imagining things? I was hoping to use FPPs to play in one of the limit events, this is not good [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2006, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Waitwaitwait... so none of the preliminary events are slated for TV coverage this year? Weren't several of them televised last year, or am I imagining things? I was hoping to use FPPs to play in one of the limit events, this is not good [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of the the prelim(not to be confused w/circuit) events were shown.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN did 14 preliminary events in 2004, and 14 preliminary events in 2005.

WSOP first-run TV ratings were down 25% year-to-year in 2005 compared to 2004 so ESPN cut back the number of hours of coverage in 2006 by about 25%.

The cutback is NOT unusual or surprising to anyone who understands how TV works.

With the number of hours alloted for the main event having to increase from 12 to 14 hours due to the extended length of the WSOP main event (13 days of play scheduled in 2006, with an optional 14th day should the final table be spread out over two day), the preliminary events became the target for the cutback.