Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 03:57 PM

Default Re: How to be an illegal immigrant.

[ QUOTE ]
Immigrants are good for this country. Everyone needs to realize this.

1. They work for wages that are competitive with other areas of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
They don't pay income taxes.

[ QUOTE ]
2. They tend to have higher rates of savings, in spite of the low wages.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're sending it back to Mexico.

[ QUOTE ]
3. They actually have a work ethic.

[/ QUOTE ]
They are the source of more crime than any other sector of our populace.

[ QUOTE ]
4. More people means more demand. More demand means more income for the country.

[/ QUOTE ]
It can mean higher prices too which isn't a good thing when their presence is also lowering wages.

[ QUOTE ]
5. Our workforce is aging and our birth rate has decreased. Am I the only person who sees a possible solution to the upcoming Social Security crisis here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't taking on this population create a SS crisis of its own when the immigrant population gets old?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get people being against immigration at all. One, it's hypocritical. We are an entire nation of immigrants. What happened to "give us you tired...your poor...etc"? Two, it's not like this country doesn't have enough food, space or other natural resources for them.

[/ QUOTE ]
People aren't against immigration. But lots of people are against illegal immigration. Lets screen these potential new citizens and make sure they have something to offer our country instead of letting just any criminal, uneducated, diseased cucaracha in.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:36 PM

Aah, you exposed your hand...

[ QUOTE ]
Immigrants are good for this country. Everyone needs to realize this.

1. They work for wages that are competitive with other areas of the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are illegal and paying them would summon the INS.

[ QUOTE ]
2. They tend to have higher rates of savings, in spite of the low wages.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They're sending it back to Mexico.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, if immigration were allowed, they would take their families with them and not send so much back. Also, its a fairly weak argument. US dollars have to be spend in the US. If they are sending dollars abroad, then that increases the demand for US goods.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fear-mongering at its finest. Crime comes from the War on Drugs and crimes of passion.

[ QUOTE ]
5. Our workforce is aging and our birth rate has decreased. Am I the only person who sees a possible solution to the upcoming Social Security crisis here?

Wouldn't taking on this population create a SS crisis of its own when the immigrant population gets old?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two points. Going bankrupt thirty years from now is better than going bankrupt in five. These aren't the real numbers, but are you catching my drift. Also, their birth rates per family are much higher than ours, so plenty of new workers. Their birthrate will decrease when they become more wealthy and secure, as does any culture, but we are talking at least 100 years.

[ QUOTE ]
People aren't against immigration. But lots of people are against illegal immigration. Lets screen these potential new citizens and make sure they have something to offer our country instead of letting just any criminal, uneducated, diseased cucaracha in.

[/ QUOTE ]

JMHO, but any one willing to work for a competitive wage has something to offer this country. Also, Hispanic chicks are hot!!
Old 04-03-2006, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

False. Many illegal immigrants have payroll taxes withheld from their paychecks. Since most amnesties require proof of tax payment for some period of years, a lot of immigrants actually WANT to pay.

[ QUOTE ]

It can mean higher prices too which isn't a good thing when their presence is also lowering wages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously economics isn't your strong suit, but you can be confident that the decrease in wages will offset the increase in prices.

[ QUOTE ]
Lets screen these potential new citizens and make sure they have something to offer our country instead of letting just any criminal, uneducated, diseased cucaracha in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we should screen our current citizens and make sure they have something to offer first.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:56 PM

Why not become legal immigrants. That is my question. If all these benefits occur by being legal immigrants, why not be legal?
Old 04-03-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is fear-mongering at its finest. Crime comes from the War on Drugs and crimes of passion.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
• In Los Angeles, 95 percent of all outstanding warrants for homicide (which total 1,200 to 1,500) target illegal aliens. Up to two-thirds of all fugitive felony warrants (17,000) are for illegal aliens.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-03-2006, 05:03 PM

Your point is...? War on Drugs and gangs is causing the murder, take away the incentive to kill and see what happens.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:07 PM

Others in this country have just as much "incentive" to kill, and we don't. Don't give illegal aliens a free pass to murder because of the war on drugs.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:08 PM

what are you quoting that figure from?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not become legal immigrants. That is my question. If all these benefits occur by being legal immigrants, why not be legal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've cited this article before, but the nice thing about illegal immigrants (at least from the Social Security Administration's point of view) is that while most illegal immigrants have payroll taxes withheld from their pay, they have no current means to collect any of the benefits.

Social Security is so dependent on contributions from illegal immigrants that the SSA factors in their contributions into their projections. Because they frequently provide false information at hiring (and so long as they stay illegal), they have little to no ability to collect any of the benefits they help to fund, so much so that $500+ billion is sitting in the IRS's "earnings suspense file" -- which is where W-2 earnings reports with incorrect/fictitious Social Security numbers go.

And then there's the demographics problem (a not-too-distant cousin of the Social Security solvency problem) -- which should lead us all to advocate a loosening of immigration standards, not a tightening.

But I don't doubt there are some bozos here who aren't quite sure what demographics are, and who think we need to stop illegal immigration because Americans want "less traffic, not more" and think that some Americans here are already drastically in need of a little more Lebensraum.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what are you quoting that figure from?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's from a Heather MacDonald column. So who knows if the figures are accurate. More importantly, this figure doesn't tell you anything about what % of murders are committed by illegal aliens (just saying that it doesn't back up the claim "They are the source of more crime than any other sector of our populace".)