Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: How\'s your SSNLHE?: AKs

[ QUOTE ]
Its a shame there's not a way to have branching options. (if you picked 'd' on question one... you get an entirely different set of choices.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this one pushed the boundaries of how complicated you could make one of these. The way the polls are set up, you can't get overly detailed in options. You can only put the needed info in the question header, and I don't want to go too crazy and lose people along the way. Probably hard enough to follow as is.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:59 PM

"I voted call on the river...that's the only difference on where we were at...I guess the reason I called was that I had a hand with showdown value and a reraise would make me puke..." I thought the villain's riverbet screamed of weakness/blocking bet. Considering the pot and sidepot, villain could easily have bet more and expected a call from a strong ace. Therefore, I feel pretty strongly that hero is ahead.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do like the huge preflop raise though and capturing MP's dead money.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this is the key to the hand (although the quiz hand didn't take this line). MP has had two chances to show the strength of her hand. She limped once, and then just called SB's push. A raise here from Hero represents a monster hand like AA/KK and is very likely to fold her out, and we get to play a HU pot with a small stack with MP's extra bet thrown in there as a sweetener. Plus, if she does call a re-reraise from us, we have position.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:22 PM

except for reraising preflop (more than 40) I play this the same. No reason to semi-bluff/c-bet the flop. You said yourself MP likes to chase. Value raise on the river is a good play in hindsight, but I don't mind going the more conservative route on the river
Old 12-05-2005, 05:24 PM

Well... its still good regardless. I'm just fantasizing about what would be ideal. Please keep posting these. They are good brainteasers.

One thing this made me think about... as the majority of people answered similarly, we should realize what this says (at least about people on 2+2). If this is the correct way to play it, and we are in the villain's chair, what can the villain deduce by our play?

I chose the more aggressive path for this hand. Since we don't know how the villain would have responded, we don't know how it would have played out. I'm wondering if playing the turn passively and raising the river is the best way to make the most money? (while check calling both is the safest way to win the least/lose the least)

Though if the villain is a real donk, as the AJ play might seem to indicate, then he might NOT have folded to a turn raise and we probably could have gotten more value.

now I'm rambling. Anyhoo.. please keep 'em coming. I'm just reiterating... if we all agree to the 'right answer' we should note that the 'correct' play is also giving information to our observant opponents. (which may mean just a few people now and again. lol)
Old 12-05-2005, 05:26 PM

We have a strong hand on the river, one that may be worth a raise, but the question I have trouble with: will MP call our raise often enough to make it profitable? The answer depends on the style of MP; if MP is a very strong player then I don't know if (s)he would pay off a raise, depending on preflop play. I should work out the numbers in class [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Though if the villain is a real donk, as the AJ play might seem to indicate, then he might NOT have folded to a turn raise and we probably could have gotten more value.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might imply that reraising enough to entice a call from a dominated hand preflop would be the correct play, rather than safely calling. The MP smooth calling an all-in from the cutoff has a ring of a strong hand (think AA or KK), maybe trying to do a limp-reraise, but was foiled by short stacked CO?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:41 PM

Raise preflop x2, bet flop, call turn, push river.

On the flop, you should bet because MP might call with weak pairs, draws etc and you want to create a pot that is later worthwhile for him to call big bets in. This is a big pot, you have likely the best hand but just A high. Protect your pot, build a pot for later and hide your hand.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop x2...

[/ QUOTE ]

hm?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:36 PM

Nice post, i really like these. I agreed with all your answers, except the turn where i raised. Your comment makes sence though, and i now think it is better to call the turn.But then again i would not have been in this situation since i would have bet the flop. Checking the flop makes it harder to know where you are when MP comes out betting on the turn.