Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 02:04 AM

Default Re: ATo...um, not sure about this

I don't see how you CAN bet the river here? What do you put the two other dudes on? Good check.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, with this many people in, capping preflop with so-so offsuit big cards isn't worth the bother.

I wouldn't have raised in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

OP's statement about SH affecting his play is accurate with regard to that raise.

As for the preflop action... if we're raising or planning to raise the flop to drive players out, why would we make the pot any bigger preflop? All that does is give your opponents implied if not actual odds to call your flop raise, especially with this highly coordinated board.

The fact that all these people called 3 bets preflop is bad enough. If a small stakes pot is capped 4 or 5 ways preflop, it usually takes a turn raise to make people even think about folding.

And unless your opponents are idiots, you should be behind on the river. Maybe one had 98 and the other had Q9, but either CO or UTG (if not both) should be holding suited cards.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:08 PM

I think the flop and turn are good. The check on the river is fine.

There are not enough hands that you are beating that are calling you on this river (QJ, KJ). I think you have to call a raise in this big pot, and you are going to be raised by plenty of hands (KQ, flush draws). IMO, a bet is -EV on this river.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
And unless your opponents are idiots , you should be behind on the river. Maybe one had 98 and the other had Q9, but either CO or UTG (if not both) should be holding suited cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB has 3s As (two pair, aces and threes).
UTG has 9d 9c (one pair, nines).
Hero has Td Ac (two pair, aces and tens).
CO has Qh Ts (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.06 BB.

So here I was...ahead postflop the entire hand. I still don't feel too bad about the river check, considering the draws it appeared to complete.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that all these people called 3 bets preflop is bad enough...

And unless your opponents are idiots, you should be behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
They've already told you that they are idiots. It's an extremely common condition for small stakes villains to have.

That makes me think a river bet is slim, but profitable. Yes the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is a super scare card, but these are the sort of opponents who are just as likely to chase trips/two pair as being on a straight or flush draw.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And unless your opponents are idiots , you should be behind on the river. Maybe one had 98 and the other had Q9, but either CO or UTG (if not both) should be holding suited cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB has 3s As (two pair, aces and threes).
UTG has 9d 9c (one pair, nines).
Hero has Td Ac (two pair, aces and tens).
CO has Qh Ts (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.06 BB.

So here I was...ahead postflop the entire hand. I still don't feel too bad about the river check, considering the draws it appeared to complete.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's one piece of advice that I had been hearing. I'm not too sure how good it is, but given that the one giving me advice has more experience in bigger games, it might apply.

Several people are telling you to value bet here. You were afraid of getting raised by a made flush or straight. However, You know the tendencies of the players better than we do. You said:

[ QUOTE ]
UTG was sLP-P after about 70 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he raises you, then you know you're beat, and can lay it down. This also implies that UTG can also read the board well enough to NOT raise his A3 which just made him a "monster" 2 pair.

CO is another story. If you be and he raises you, then you have to figure out if he's a maniac who would raise scare cards or not. If he is, then you might need to bet/call. If he's not, then it might be a bet fold (especially depending on if UTG decides to overcall).

This is a tricky spot for me, and I'm not yet good enough to play it where I can bet/fold this river. That's why I check/call it like you did.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UTG was sLP-P after about 70 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he raises you, then you know you're beat, and can lay it down. This also implies that UTG can also read the board well enough to NOT raise his A3 which just made him a "monster" 2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
This read isn't enough to fold getting at least 16:1. We only need to be ahead 6%.