Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2006, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Ask me about fantasy baseball

Matt Murton, Moises Alou or Curtis Granderson in a keeper league with these stats as my 5th OF

AVG, OPS, R, HR, RBI, SB, K
Old 03-26-2006, 02:13 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
Matt Murton, Moises Alou or Curtis Granderson in a keeper league with these stats as my 5th OF

[/ QUOTE ]

how do your keepers work? or to put it another way, will the player you pick here end up on your team next year?

if so, i take granderson. if not, i probably go alou because of his substantial edges in OPS and K. i like murton as a cubs fan, but he doesn't belong in this discussion until dusty plays him every day.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:17 AM

Rate my team. 12 Team H2H standard yahoo, winners league.

C K. Johjima
1B R. Sexson
2B J. Kent
3B T. Glaus
SS J. Peralta
OF J. Bay
OF A. Jones
OF C. Tracy
Util R. Winn
BN W. Taveras
BN N. Swisher

SP Jo. Santana
SP M. Prior
RP D. Báez
RP J. Duchscherer
P B. Colón
P J. Patterson
P N. Lowry
BN A. Harang
BN J. Towers

I want to upgrade Tracy in the OF. I might try to package Santana and Prior together(to get rid of the injury risk from Prior) to get an upgrade in the OF, get some SP's in return. Also I will probably just dump saves, hopefully find someone to take baez. Dropping Swisher momentarily also. I'm exceptionally weak on SB and SV.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how do your keepers work? or to put it another way, will the player you pick here end up on your team next year?

if so, i take granderson. if not, i probably go alou because of his substantial edges in OPS and K. i like murton as a cubs fan, but he doesn't belong in this discussion until dusty plays him every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

We only keep 4 players, so unless Curtis or Matt had monster years none would be keeper. On a side note i could use help with steals, but i think id need more then just Curtis to help there. I think im best with Alou, but with Curtis on fire i figured it might be worth the shot.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:41 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
Rate my team. 12 Team H2H standard yahoo, winners league.

C K. Johjima
1B R. Sexson
2B J. Kent
3B T. Glaus
SS J. Peralta
OF J. Bay
OF A. Jones
OF C. Tracy
Util R. Winn
BN W. Taveras
BN N. Swisher

SP Jo. Santana
SP M. Prior
RP D. Báez
RP J. Duchscherer
P B. Colón
P J. Patterson
P N. Lowry
BN A. Harang
BN J. Towers

I want to upgrade Tracy in the OF. I might try to package Santana and Prior together(to get rid of the injury risk from Prior) to get an upgrade in the OF, get some SP's in return. Also I will probably just dump saves, hopefully find someone to take baez. Dropping Swisher momentarily also. I'm exceptionally weak on SB and SV.

[/ QUOTE ]

B. i don't like your trade plan unless you get some solid SP in return, as your hitting is already better than your pitching. baez is not closing, so i wouldn't count on getting anything in return for him.

if josh willingham is available and healthy, go pick him up to replace johjima. if you're dumping saves, pick up some top middle relievers like rincon, soriano, linebrink and drop swisher, baez and towers. actually, just drop towers, as an empty roster spot is worth more than he is. however, if you are dumping saves you must make an attempt to trade for some steals, because you can't win dumping two categories.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:49 AM

Why dont you like Towers? Good whip, Good K/BB hes got good stuff.

Also why Willingham > Johijma? If anything i could see McCann, but i dont think Willingham is gunna have a better year then Johijma.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:50 AM

Advice well taken. Thank you.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:16 AM

Granderson. Not close.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:18 AM

If you've got 20 hours a day to kill, well, that's more than even me.

Here's my dilema. 9 team, 6x6 keep up to 12, add $5 first year, $10 every year after that. $260 cap to draft 20 players. After that phase, there is a 13 round snake draft.

Starters C, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss, mi, 4 of, u, 9 p.
Batting: OBA, SLG, HR, RBI, R, SB
Pitching: ERA, WHIP, W, K, SV, HD

The dilema comes in with the redshirts. You get two and their contract stays the same as last year. My options are:

Weeks $1
Delmon Young (f'ck the D'Rays) $1
Guardado $2
Bonds $43
Kazmir $1

My other keepers:
V.Martinez $16
Hafner $16
Halladay $22

Weeks is obviously going to be one of my redshirts. The dilema comes for #2. Bonds and Guardado are on the team no matter what. If I don't redshirt Kazmir, I won't keep him. So, do I give myself a decent pitcher with a lot of upside and add $5 to Bonds and Guardado or do I save the $5 and toss Kazmir back out there? The way I see it, it's all about next year. Not only will I save $5 this year, but next year I'll only have to add $5 to the salary instead of $10. If I knew Bonds was going to play in 2007 (preferably as a DH), I'd redshirt him in a heartbeat. If I knew Kazmir would break out this year, I'd redshirt him. Guardado would be the safest pick since it's unlikely he'll have less than $7 value next season. I could just day f'ck it and hold on to Young.

A couple of other factors. Pujols and ARod are both going to be kept at $60 (if they are not, everything gets a lot easier). My keepers rank second in value and third in talent. Santana will be kept at $26, and people will generally overpay for pitching (except closers). The only position players that will be available that are worth dropping $30 or more will be Helton, Manny, Vlad, Abreu, Tejada. My guess is they all go for $40 or more. We are allowed to make uneven trades and trade draft picks. I've got 3 extra picks in the mid to late rounds. My lines of communication with regards to making trades are about league average. I can get a deal done, but I'm not friends with 5 of the 8 other owners.

What's my redshirt game plan? What's my overall strategy in the draft?
Old 03-26-2006, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could you please break down how to assign a dollar value to players given the non-countable/average statistics involved in rotisserie leagues?

[/ QUOTE ]

getting exact dollar values requires you to know the relative values of each category in your league. for example, determining how many points in the standings, on average, 5 extra SB will get you vs. the same question for 15 RBI. this can vary wildly from league to league. if this is a keeper league and you have access to past years' standings, this can be very useful to determine the spread between teams.

in a "typical" league, i've found that the numbers are roughly 3 BA points = 3 R = 1 HR = 3 RBI = 1 SB. in bigger leagues steals generally gain value. if you want to use this method, fine tune the numbers (for example, RBI are less common than R, and the value of BA is directly related to how many at bats the player gets). pitchers are trickier because the value of every stat fluctuates with how many innings he pitches.

once you've turned your projections into a single number for each player, it's fairly straightforward to assign dollar values. take the top x players, where x is the number who will be drafted in your league, and assign them a total of y dollars, y = teams*salary cap. make sure the average player's (the mean player, not median) value is y/x.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you like my exact league standings, or do you just need the average?