Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Ask wrongarm300/siccjay about BOWLING

"What are your thoughts about the horizontal spin method? You know that technique where you spin the ball nearly completely horizontal from start to finish. That style that more popular in asian countries I think"

I think eventually you will see someone on the PBA tour using this technique. This works wondeful on longer (more oil) patterns. The ball (usually a light weight ball) uses the oil and weight of the ball to deflect off of the pins, thus creating a Pin ball type method where it bounces off everything and carries a very high %. The problem is, once again, you split a lot. If the ball deflects even a little too much, split. It is catching on and someone will probably learn how to use it on certain patterns. This, however, will not catch on as much as two-handed bowlers. This is a very up and coming trend that you will see a lot of in the upcoming years.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If that is not what I should be concentrating on, then what should I be looking to do?

It's amazing the turn in bowling these days. 10 years ago he who hooked it struck and won the most. Today, with the high performance bowling balls, most high level players are learning how to NOT hook the ball. The less your ball hooks, the higher your carry % is going to be. The idea is simple, if your ball is heading straight down the lane it is going to be more consistant when heading into the pocket. If you are hooking the ball all over the place you leave yourself open to a number of miscues. If you grab it at the bottom too much, you split. If you throw one too hard, you split. If you miss it at the bottom, you split.

Read the Jowdy book. He is one of, if not THE best coach out there. And he is one of the #1 guys out there right now teaching the "straight is great" strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]
so true. i remember in hs i was trying to throw a big hook, but was really inconsistent. then i saw norm duke on tv, and he was just using a pretty straight simple shot, and thought "[censored], i gotta go back to that"
my scores really improved
now i go based on what works on each lane condition, but i try to keep it as simple as possible
Old 03-24-2006, 07:15 PM

Okay, so if I bowl straight, where should I throw from and aim to get a strike?

ScottieK
Old 03-24-2006, 07:18 PM

don't throw straight, you still need some movement. just don't over complicate things.
if you're a righty, you wan it between the 1 and 3 pin, lefty between the 1 and 2 pin. you want to hit it from an angle (thats where the little hook comes in) but not straight from the corner
its hard to describe the "good part" of the pocket where to hit, but as you do it more you'll notice the differences in pin action. wrongarm can probably explain it better
Old 03-24-2006, 07:28 PM

Although others have covered this nicely, let me say this about hooking:

First, a lot of people don't realize that plastic house balls or the older urethane balls you find in many bowling alleys will not hook very much for you. Even if you buy a used, entry-level reactive or particle ball from a pro shop for 30 bucks, it will hook quite a bit more than your typical house ball, if that's what you want.

In general, what people misunderstand about hook is that the best way to create it is NOT to come out the side of the ball, or put sideways spin on the ball, or otherwise torque your wrist. In fact, this is mostly good for injuring yourself.

In a ball designed to hook, the movement is created primarily by forward roll. This means that when you release the ball, your thumb comes out first (starts to slide out at the bottom of your armswing, really shouldn't be holding any weight) and you 'lift' the ball with your two fingers, pushing straight up through the ball as you release. The coverstock of the ball (designed to 'grip' the lane and eat through the oil to create friction to varying degrees depending on how aggressive the ball is) and the weight block (often an asymmetrical core distributed a certain way around your grip to create the desired imbalance, and thus hook) take care of the rest.

I've never read books on bowling so I don't know if this is in the text you're reading, but it's good to understand the basics of how a good roll works. It's not ALL forward roll, and later on you can learn about your axis point and flare and whatnot, but that should give you an idea.

And yeah, don't focus too much on hook, focus on getting a consistent form, making spares and repeating shots. The power, hook and carry will come with time.

NT
Old 03-24-2006, 07:52 PM

I was just in Greuene, TX earlier this month and bowled. I had previously bowled once in 6 years (129). I used the straight method as I have all my life. I played three games (87...PITIFUL), then 185 (career high, by 14 points), and then another 183. All by using the straight method. I was blown away.

However, I, too, would like to work on my spin. I play baseball and throw curveballs, so I'm assuming I can pick up the spin method without too much trouble. Similar muscle used, only difference is the wrist twists up instead of down.

Anyway, when trying to spin, do you hold the ball with pinky and ring finger, or ring and middle? I use ring and middle with straight method but I thought someone told me u supposed to use pinky and ring finger to spin it. That would take some adjustment.

Also, whoever said 10% + 1 lb. is nuts. I weigh 182, that means a 19 pound ball!? WTF. I think I used a 14 last time.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:10 PM

I understand it's not my thread -- but I've been bowling since I was 6 years old.

If you want to learn how to hook the ball, you first will need to invest in your own bowling ball. There are many out there but you can equip yourself with one for about 150 bucks that will improve your game tremendously.

Bowling balls that are available on the bowling alley racks are made of plastic. Plastic + Oil = no friction. Most of the bowling balls in your local pro shop are made out of resin/other stuff that allows friction with the lane.

As for the grip, you will get the most 'spin' out of a finger tip grip, using your ring and middle fingers (and actually putting your thumb in the ball, for all you 'nothumbs' out there [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

As soon as you invest 150 bucks into your bowling game, things will start to fall into place. Your scores will jump from the low 100s, to 150s or better really fast.

Good Luck... sry for the thread hijack [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2006, 08:11 PM

I bowl straight, and have absolutely no desire to learn how to hook it. I'm an average bowler I guess (148 average in my bowling class, no instruction, just go and bowl). I bowl straight and normally hit the pins well, but I find myself hitting 8's and 9's all the time. I have no problem picking up spares, but it's hard for my to consistently strike often. I'll often have games that look like //9/X//89/ something like that. Any tips?

Also, I'm wondering what the limit is as far as bowling straight goes? Not that I'd ever be good enough to go pro, but are there any PBA bowlers who throw straight? Would I be able to be one of the better league bowlers in an average amateur league w/ 40 year olds and random teenagers throwing straight?
Old 03-24-2006, 08:14 PM

wrong, sicc, mods:

SPORTS FORUM
Old 03-24-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bowl straight, and have absolutely no desire to learn how to hook it. I'm an average bowler I guess (148 average in my bowling class, no instruction, just go and bowl). I bowl straight and normally hit the pins well, but I find myself hitting 8's and 9's all the time. I have no problem picking up spares, but it's hard for my to consistently strike often. I'll often have games that look like //9/X//89/ something like that. Any tips?

Also, I'm wondering what the limit is as far as bowling straight goes? Not that I'd ever be good enough to go pro, but are there any PBA bowlers who throw straight? Would I be able to be one of the better league bowlers in an average amateur league w/ 40 year olds and random teenagers throwing straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, there are pro bowlers who throw straight, but that's only when the oil pattern allows that. They are still using a high-performance bowling ball.

I average 214 in league, and I could probably average 180 or so with a house ball that doesn't fit me perfect.

You really need to get a good bowling ball to strike more often.