Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Re: I\'m bored too...ask ScottieK about the banking industry

ScottieK, I haven't read Gold Sheets in a while. Where are new BBB credits coming to market?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Come on Scottie. That's lame stuff. We all know that banks get ripped off all the time by conmen. Give us some juicy bits.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the time? I doubt it. Tellers are trained to spot cons, and branch managers are consulted on transactions above a certain dollar limit. Not saying it's impossible. I think that a successful con would have to include an inside man. Tellers who try to cheat the system almost always get caught.

Did anyone see Heist (new NBC show) on Wednesday? I thought that bank robbery was pretty cool.

ScottieK
Old 03-24-2006, 01:10 PM

I heard something about a guy in England robbing banks by hypnotizing the tellers. Is there any truth to this? Do you think it's possible?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ScottieK,

I hate my current bank (BofA) for personal (retail banking) and professional reasons (not retail banking). Who should I switch to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you're looking for. If you do a lot of travel, a local bank may not have ATM availability where you travel to. Our bank refunds ATM fees, but this can still be a hassle when you're out of town. IMO, most of the multi-national banks are just number-crunchers who couldn't care less who you are or what problem you have. Most of the smaller banks are starting to offer ATM fee refunds, along with online banking, free checking, and all kinds of crap to get customers. Shop around.

If establishing a personal relationship with your bank is a priority, then I suggest getting to know the retail managers at your local branch and a couple regular tellers.

ScottieK
Old 03-24-2006, 01:15 PM

My business just got defrauded. Someone produced fraudulent checks, got a scanned copy of an authorized signature, and cashed about 10 checks each for $5000 at a variety of branches (all the same bank) over a three day period. Each check was made out to a different name.

Here's the question: Is there any possibility that this wasn't an inside job on the bank side? It seems that they got too many details right to be on the outside, and it also seems that they had set up multiple fraudulent accounts in order to cash the checks.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does your credit score go down, if you request a credit report?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every consumer is entitled to a free credit report annually. I suggest you get yours from all three credit bureaus.

www.experian.com
www.equifax.com
www.transunion.com

Ideally, you would set this up to get one of them every four months so you can spot credit problems easier.

If someone you are doing business with pulls your credit report, it does go on your report as an inquiry. Too many inquiries in a short time frame negatively impact your score.

BUT....if your credit score is pulled several times in one business day, it only counts as one inquiry. So if you're going to max out some new credit cards and run away, get them all on the same day before your credit goes to [censored].

ScottieK
Old 03-24-2006, 01:22 PM

if you go to www.freeannualcreditreport.com u get yours for free online
Old 03-24-2006, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ScottieK, I haven't read Gold Sheets in a while. Where are new BBB credits coming to market?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an investment banker. Quick google search says Australia and Russia, specifically, bonds on the Russian government itself.

Daily Reckoning BBB credits

ScottieK
Old 03-24-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an investment banker. Quick google search says Australia and Russia, specifically, bonds on the Russian government itself.

Daily Reckoning BBB credits

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I was asking about spreads to LIBOR.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard something about a guy in England robbing banks by hypnotizing the tellers. Is there any truth to this? Do you think it's possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. I wish I could say teller training includes resistance to hypnosis, but I really don't know.

ScottieK