Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Who wants to know about ancient Greece or Rome?

[ QUOTE ]
Marcus Aurelius was not one of the crazy emperors, he was tame in comparsion with Caligula, Nero, amd Caracalla. I really can't chose, they were all off their rocker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Aurelius was pretty sane, but not as benevolent as they make him out to be in Gladiator. He wrote a lot of philosophy, which was cool, but he enacted a lot of reforms to consolidate power on the emperor, rather than try to reinstate the Republic as he's made out to do in the movie.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:53 AM

Why is it called Caesars Palace? Did the Rome dudes like to gambooooool?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:56 AM

We've all heard the expression "When in Rome do as the Romans do". Well, what exactly did the Romans do?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They did. They also liked to drink and [censored]. They also loved watching people get killed.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Marcus Aurelius was not one of the crazy emperors, he was tame in comparsion with Caligula, Nero, amd Caracalla. I really can't chose, they were all off their rocker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Aurelius was pretty sane, but not as benevolent as they make him out to be in Gladiator. He wrote a lot of philosophy, which was cool, but he enacted a lot of reforms to consolidate power on the emperor, rather than try to reinstate the Republic as he's made out to do in the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention he ended the longest period of pervasive peace the world has seen.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:03 AM

Why do you think Aurelius chose Commodus, the second one, to be emperor? Commentators suggest that he was aware of his son's ineptitude. I have read his meditations, and promoting a known fool should have been against all he knew.

And which do oyu feel to be the most important battle, Metaurus or Cannae?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They did. They also liked to drink and [censored]. They also loved watching people get killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

So nothing much has happend in terms of evolution the last 2,000 years?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We've all heard the expression "When in Rome do as the Romans do". Well, what exactly did the Romans do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'know, I'm actually not 100% sure where this phrase came from. I did a quick google search and it was apparently used by Saint Ambrose when answering whether or not he should observe a Roman fast. He answered "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Of course, daily life in Rome was pretty similar to life in any large city. Most lived in what amounted to a shanty-town made up of simple 2-3 story wooden structures, which lead to frequent fires. Rome was a great center of business which attracted people from all over the world, so it was a very well integrated city. They didn't have police as we know them today, although there was a military presence in the city and an intricate legal code.

Probably the most interesting part of Roman life were their Triumphs. Whenever a general would return from a military victory, they would parade through the streets toting their prisoners as well as exotic animals they had brought back from foreign lands. These Triumphs generally ended with gladiatorial games in the Colosseum where gladiators would either fight each other man to man, reenact famous battles or fight various exotic animals (most of which didn't stand a chance of winning). Of course, public executions were also common, such as the Christian persecutions, but also some more gruesome spectacles. The most horrific I've ever heard of was after soldiers brought back baboons from an African conquest which were released on a young girl and raped her.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:17 AM

Humans function on immutable laws, waiting for change in human nature is not advised. Augustus used to love to gamble just as his uncle, Caesar did. Seutonius saya Augustus would have young boys brought in to gamble with him from many different parts of the world, and favored those with pleasant expressions. Scholars believe that his interest in them was non-sexual, citing his determined and incessant womanizing as evidence. Romans considered luck to be that thing which indicates true greatness, and leaving results up to Fortuna would be a comfortable proposition to many. Caesar gambled with the entire empire when he crossed the Rubicon. His words on that day are immortal "Let the dice fly high!"

Cambraceres
Old 03-24-2006, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why do you think Aurelius chose Commodus, the second one, to be emperor? Commentators suggest that he was aware of his son's ineptitude. I have read his meditations, and promoting a known fool should have been against all he knew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aurelius likely chose Commodus to replace him as emperor because there was supposed to be a hereditary line of succession and so Commodus would have been the proper choice in keeping with tradition. There has been speculation that Commodus plotted his father's death in order to take full control, but I haven't read too much evidence for that.

[ QUOTE ]

And which do oyu feel to be the most important battle, Metaurus or Cannae?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Cannae. First, it was cool because Hannibal marched elephants over the Alps. Secondly, Hannibal was a better general than his brother, so I feel it was more important to repel him from the penisula than his brother who posed less of a threat.