Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Need Help with my cold calls

I personally think this is a too tight for 6max, but at very low limits and just starting out its pretty good to help you learn not to attach yourself to a dominated hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's an easy way to handle cold calls. Note that I'm *NOT* saying it's an optimal play, but it's a good starting point that you can adjust from:

1. Only ever cold-call with pocket pairs 88-22 and AK, and play them as draws. Do NOT consider 88 a "made hand" on the flop. You're playing for TPTK or a set; otherwise, you're folding.
2. With AA-99, always reraise to quadruple the original raiser's bet if you're the first caller; you'll play these as weakly made hands, not draws.
3. With callers in between, consider smooth-calling JJ-99, playing them for set value instead of as made hands. Playing TT multiway with a Q on the board sucks, and you'll never know if you're beaten (which you likely are) until it's way too late.
4. Suited connectors should usually be folded here, but occasionally play them just like KK. Only do this with position, however. Don't cold call with these hands, though -- they don't flop solidly enough often enough to make it worthwhile to try.
5. After you reraise preflop, fold UI to an out-of-position flop bet of 1/2 pot or more, and make a 3/4-to-full pot sized continuation bet every time if it's checked to you.

I'll leave it to far more experienced 6-max players to refine this concept, but as a very rough starting point, I'd say this isn't a bad approach. Smooth calling preflop raises should be an exceedingly rare thing for you to do; if there's a preflop raise, it should be coming from YOU, not someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-24-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Need Help with my cold calls

I fold all the hands you listed in all the situations you listed.