Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2006, 03:53 AM

Default Re: WBC

That would be fine, but how exactly would you go about picking who plays who? Doesn't seem to be a fair way even if it is completely random.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:10 AM

you could base it on regionals like you do now, or simply have a committee that ranks them.

I understand why they did pool play, as that's the way it's done in the world cup, et al. it still sucks for baseball.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, we should just cancel all professional baseball leagues across the world and do this thing right. Every team plays 7, wait, eff that, 25 game series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sarcasm is misdirected. All I ask for is consistency and simplicity. The structure and tiebreakers are so convoluted that Mexico eliminated itself in its game against USA when it scored a run before the 13th. Yes, Mexico eliminated itself *by trying to win the game*

Korea is 2-1 against Japan and 6-1 overall. Japan is 4-3. Japan's in the final.

Make it simple. Make it double-elim. No tiebreakers, no rooting for other teams, etc. That way everything you do actually counts in the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with you. the idea for having this is pretty cool, and most of the countries were really into it. just needs some tweaking.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember Theo Epstein saying that signing Kim was a mistake and really agreeing with him. That guy really cracks under pressure or it is just extreme variance. With Arizona he blew it in big games (2 were in NY from what I rememeber), with Red Sox, and then tonight.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

two world series games back to back in ny. so schilling and johnson had to pull heroics for game 7.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:00 PM

Korea had home field advantage through the quarterfinals. I'm still impressed by their showing, but not as much as I would be otherwise.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, we should just cancel all professional baseball leagues across the world and do this thing right. Every team plays 7, wait, eff that, 25 game series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sarcasm is misdirected. All I ask for is consistency and simplicity. The structure and tiebreakers are so convoluted that Mexico eliminated itself in its game against USA when it scored a run before the 13th. Yes, Mexico eliminated itself *by trying to win the game*

Make it simple. Make it double-elim. No tiebreakers, no rooting for other teams, etc. That way everything you do actually counts in the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, double elimination wouldn't take any longer, and would better reward teams based on the results of their games. I also wouldn't mind if they went to tripple elimination, although that would take a little longer.

The current format: 39 games
Double elimination: 30 or 31 games
Triple elimination: 45, 46, or 47 games
Old 03-19-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, double elimination wouldn't take any longer, and would better reward teams based on the results of their games. I also wouldn't mind if they went to tripple elimination, although that would take a little longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another crazy thought also just occured to me. How about having the MLB playoffs be in an elimination tournament like this.

Current Syatem: 24 - 41 games
Quintupple elimination : 35 - 39 games

I know everyone will hate this idea, but I think it would be awsome.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another crazy thought also just occured to me. How about having the MLB playoffs be in an elimination tournament like this.

Current Syatem: 24 - 41 games
Quintupple elimination : 35 - 39 games

I know everyone will hate this idea, but I think it would be awsome.

[/ QUOTE ]

The playoffs are the result of a 162 game season, not 6 games of pool play.