Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 05:23 PM

Default Re: question for the experts!

Here's what happened, as best as I can tell.

Preflop: blinds 100/200
Hero has KK

2 limpers ahead of Hero, Hero limps, SB makes an illegal raise to 300, BB calls, limpers call, Hero reraises to 900, SB folds, limpers call, BB calls.

Flop: K52, no suits provided, pot 4200
BB leads out for 500, limper 1 calls, limper 2 calls, Hero raises to 4500, BB folds, limper 1 calls, limper 2 calls

Flurn (magical new round of between between the Flop and Turn), pot 17200:
Limper 1 moves all in for 3000, Limper 2 raises to 8000, Hero pushes, limper 2 calls.

Turn: 8
River: 7

Limper 1 has set of 5's
Hero has set of K's
Limper 2 has straight, 5 to 9.

Post-hand: Hero decided to write a rambling post about this that confuses the MTT forum.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you want to limp with KK in a multi-way pot in the first place? That is asking for disaster. You had a second chance to thin the field when SB raised but still just called.. Those 2 plays essentially lead to all sorts of hands that could beat you by showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was your mistake. However,I'll agree that 6-9 had no right being in the hand period. This being said, you have to realize that you want dumb calls like this b/c over the long run it will significantly benefit you.

P.S> Dont let the ones who pretend that your grammar keeps them from giving you a constructive response keep you from asking questions here. They just want attention via their sarcastic comments.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:25 PM

Advice... don't let guys go runner runner and catch their straight! You should have made quads on the turn ... that would have prevented the straight from winning.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why did you want to limp with KK in a multi-way pot in the first place? That is asking for disaster. You had a second chance to thin the field when SB raised but still just called.. Those 2 plays essentially lead to all sorts of hands that could beat you by showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was your mistake. However,I'll agree that 6-9 had no right being in the hand period. This being said, you have to realize that you want dumb calls like this b/c over the long run it will significantly benefit you.

P.S> Dont let the ones who pretend that your grammar keeps them from giving you a constructive response keep you from asking questions here. They just want attention via their sarcastic comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, the fact that, based on the OP's description, the SB made an illegally small raise AND there was a whole round of betting between the flop and turn was a lot more troublesome than the lack of paragraphs and spelling.

I'd be happy to give constructive advice if the hand made sense.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flurn (magical new round of between between the Flop and Turn)

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome
Old 03-16-2006, 05:28 PM

We would need to know your stack size and those of your opponents preflop to determine the best play. Limping with KK after 2 limpers behind you is a HUGE mistake here. Your opponents didn't make a mistake by not folding after you limped because you didn't give them an opportunity to make a mistake. Think about it, if you limp in middle position, and then someone limps behind you and flips over AA would you fold without seeing a flop? Of course not! You would take a free look at the flop. You got lucky that the SB raised here, you had an opportunity to redeem yourself. But after a raise and three callers you only made it 900, that was another big mistake, they would be making a mistake to fold to such a small raise given the size of the pot. Hard to tell exactly how big the pot is here(which is why you need a hand converter, link should be in one of the FAQ's) They are all given great pot odds here. You need to raise big in order for them to be making a mistake, ideally you'd like to get all the money in preflop here.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:29 PM

LMAO.....This has certainly been entertaining.
Was this REALLY a 100 dollar buyin tourney? With 100 USD currency? If so, I'm shocked, but I want to start playing on Party Poker, if that is what PPdotcom means. This honestly sounds like a play money hand to me. Extremely unfortunate outcome. I've def. been donked out by 69 o/s on a stars 10+R rebuy...AFTER the break, and with a player cold calling my raise of 3x the bb.
Yeah I think a larger reraise preflop in this scenario would be wise. Postflop play was great though, nothing you could do really. 69 caught two perfect runners....poker is brutal sometimes.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:32 PM

I asked for advice. If this is so confusing please forgive me.
That's why I came here: to listen to the experts. Your irony is confusing...
Old 03-16-2006, 05:35 PM

Ok. My first piece of advice is that you actually reconstruct the hand properly. My post with the mention of the "Flurn" is, as best I can tell, exactly how you described the action of the hand. Based on your description, the hand could not possibly have occured the way it did.

If you were playing online at Party, your hand histories are probably saved on your hard drive. Find the hand and post the actual hand history here.

Also, suits of the cards are important, and stack sizes of the various players preflop are important.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:36 PM

ul flurn.