Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Brag or Beat? I Quit my job

. i just quit my nigh stocking job at a supermarket and been living off of poker. oh and my name is rob. also thinking bout school. i need some advice too.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My best move now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a qualified careers advisor (she had a psychology degree and was trained in psychometric testing for careers guidance, not some dumb ass that did a 6 week course) when I wanted to change careers from the fitness industry back into something using problem solving (I loved maths at school).

She gave me heaps of questions which gave her a personality profile of me. From this, she gave me a list of jobs that normally suits someone of my personality type. A lot of them were to do with money/finance (accountant, fund manager, etc) which seemed quite unsatisfying. But one of them was software developer. Anyway after looking into what these jobs entailed and decided on software development, I went to university the start of the following year. 3 years later got my degree in what I found I really loved, and thrived in the industry for a couple of years and enjoying a lot of the challenges of my career.

I did go traveling and ended up living in asia as a pro gambler (which I do now, but don't enjoy at all - tho I enjoy living here and I can earn enough to retire early), but my point is this - find out what you are good at and ENJOY doing that you can make money off and do that. It's pretty sad that most people don't ever do this and spend like 60% of their waking lives in a job they hate. Don't be one of them. Find someone good to help find out what you think you might enjoy and be good at, and work towards it. Even if it takes a few years, you will be happier for the next 30-odd years.

By the way - the cost of the careers advisor was $270 and worth every cent (and a lot more). Don't just look for someone who is cheap since you often get what you pay for.

Good luck,
Jack
Old 11-17-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My best move now?

[/ QUOTE ]
Careers adviser obv

Do the 6-week course
Old 11-17-2007, 06:32 PM

1 go to community college