Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 05:34 AM

Default Re: (60 Stars Turbo) Sb vs BB, flop top pair and a gutshot

Dunno. I know I am capable of laying down 97o to a push here if I am villain.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If he's making a BS play he will probably go away. If he doesn't you very likely are beat. You think a non-super tricky villain is going to 3-bet w/o TP or an overpair here? When I just complete here it's either a steal or a trap. If I have a decent hand I raise it. I don't tend to push over the top of a resteal if I'm on a steal. What else do you put villain on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain can think his five is good. Villain may have us slightly outkicked and muck to a push but 3 bet a minraise. Villain may be behind but drawing live with a worse pair + gutshot or OESD and be correct to call a minraise but fold to a push. I do not like allowing Villain to close the action here and put the decision to us.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:39 AM

I don't know if I am. And that's a very small range of hands that villain might lay down that have you beat. I don't generally like to bet low TP hard. I treat it more like middle pair and just sit back. But in this case you do want to make him pay if he's gonna draw out on you. Jamming is fine. I had you on bigger chipstacks in my mind.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a big difference between open minraising preflop and min-reraising vs. one villain in a pot. Try it sometime when you want to build a pot or when you want a cheap shenanigan call. But do it instantly in both cases. Timing is important. You have to have the element of surprise.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol @ suzzers. That made me think jedi mind trick for some reason. I would certainly raise here. I often see players raising preflop and min betting the flop, or completing in the sb, and min betting the flop. Most of the time I will reraise with anything if my stack is deep enough. Most of the time they are full of crap here, and will fold. Due to your stack size and his, I really dont mind shoving here. He is going to have to play for all his chips this hand, and will most likely lay some hands that beat you down. However, if he did hit 2p, youre in bad shape. I think pushing is fine. If he was really serious he might have bet more. It looks like he is min betting to see if youll just lay it down. gl
Old 03-07-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yuck. Give me a line here, I basicly hate all options. Folding seems very weak. Any raise will be a very big portion of my stack and basicly ties me to the pot with a very marginal hand. Calling means I most likely just postpone the decision to play for my stack or not until the turn. And there are a ton of cards I don't want to see. Fold/push?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO (t545)
Button (t1340)
SB (t1440)
Hero (t1365)
UTG (t1520)
UTG+1 (t2780)
MP1 (t2970)
MP2 (t1540)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t200) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I would go allin. Heads-up, top pair is very likely the best hand. If it isn't, you have a gutshot straight draw. I think villain folds here a lot, maybe folds some better hands (but probably not many), and calls with some worse hands (but again, probably not many). The main reason I see to push is that it's very likely you have the best hand now, but at the same time a hand that isn't strong enough to not protect.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:03 PM

You have 1265 after posting and SB bets 200. Unless you have some specific read that you are crushed this is a clear AI. All of this talk about raising the minimum is silly. All that does is tie him to the pot and if he is bluffing he'll fold, however, pushing might get some hands that beat you out, and also...if he's not the type of player to lay down 97, he's also not the type of player to lay down A5, so pushing covers both ends...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:06 PM

folding here would be pretty bad. i can see arguments for pushing or for min-raising, but i would usually just push there.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:06 PM

I think you've got your only two choices IMO...fold or push.

Madbeetz: That is not a min-bet, its a pot sizer. And if you think he has 2-pair on this flop, then God bless him.
Nutcase: (er, I mean Suzzer Min-raise????

I like a push here. You likely have the best hand and have prolly 7 outs if you don't. He will lay down a 7 if he's got you slightly outkicked. Pot sizer has ruled out a monster for me. I'm only worried about A7, K7 at this point...and might have raised those hands as well.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he's not the ytp of player to lay down 97

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok. Everyone seems to like a push here. That is what I did and he wasn't the type of player to lay down 97, cause that is what he had.

Felt a bit silly at the time since I had a healthy stack, but I guess it was just one of those hands.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:11 PM

You mean you didn't hit a 4? Rigged.