Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Razz - give up on 5th or 6th?

[ QUOTE ]
When reading Sklansky's book that's the most unbelievable part to me, when he says something like "your opponent may throw away a 7 fearing he's beat". Yeah, right. Was that actually true at some point? That people folded 7s?

[/ QUOTE ]

um, I fold 7's in some situations. Your a micro player, when you start playing bigger cashgames you will see it. Always know your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-12-2007, 02:43 PM

I fold 7s in some situations too. But I posted a thread the other day about "what's the best hand you've folded" and an awful lot of the replies were "I fold 9s some times"

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=5#Post12792827
Old 11-12-2007, 02:48 PM

I have folded #2 a few times in 2-7 TD :O. I have folded 7s in Razz, but probably not on the river.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 AM

5th is an incredibly easy call and I think 6th is a pretty clear fold.

Here's the thing, if I have a732k here instead of a783k then I'm raising 5th here every time for 2 reasons:

1. My draw is the favorite
2. I will likely have position for 6th and 7th

In this spot, however, you can only raise 5th if your opponent understands #1 and you think you can pull it off and represent the big draw (against thinking opponents this shouldn't be hard because of the strength you showed on 3rd and 4th)... if not, then a raise is pure spew
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

6th Street - (5.95 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

[/ QUOTE ]I'm staying in here, having a sinking feeling, but staying. You both have 873, but it would be likely he has 87643 as anything and you might pip him or tie him.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My instinct would be to raise here, also, because WHO THE HELL DOES HE THINK HE IS RAISING MY BOARD. This works out for me almost none of the time, though, because at 1/2 more often than not, he's betting an 87, I won't improve, and he won't fold. Too many people bet their own hand and don't consider their opponents.

If he's actually a decent player I love a raise immensely. If it doesn't work out, that might be good for your image.

[/ QUOTE ]
Rusty, trust your instinct. You know you're a dog vs. his range, but almost always drawing live. More importantly, HE doesn't know if he's drawing live if you raise him. Look at the action on 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Both good and bad villains can certainly put you on a made 7 here and if his 7 draw is rough or he paired on 6th you may get a few villains to fold. Certainly enough of the time to compensate you for the fraction of a bet you lose by raising when you've got odds to call anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't raise 6th, a bluff on 7th might be called for.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that's the part that's suicide, or at least "big bet-icide"