Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Extensions on Papers

[ QUOTE ]
A late paper is only marked 1/3 of a grade down (A -> A-, B+ -> B) so it really isn't too bad.

[/ QUOTE ] Then why bother? I'd much rather take the deduction than go through the inconvenience/humiliation of contacting the professor to get an extension. This is far and away a more lax policy than any I've ever dealt with.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:41 PM

In my experience, profs are more likely to give an extension if you ask them 3 days in advance than if you ask on the due date. YMMV.

Of course, this doesn't help you now. Also, be careful that the policy is not 1/3 letter per day/per class if you're not planning on submitting it tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 PM

Recently, one of my courses had a paper due (worth 10% overall) with an accompanying warning stating that any papers submitted after the deadline would be subject to a 2 mark penalty. By the looks of my course's discussion board, more than a few of my fellow students didn't realize that the 2 'marks' was synonomous with 20% of the paper's grade.

I have the feeling that the vast majority of the complaints of confusion came from students who received a late penalty. Also, pretty bad that there are university students who actually think that some penalties at this academic level only amount to 2% of a paper's grade (edit: regardless of any confusion).
Old 11-05-2007, 09:35 PM

I'd never ask a TA. As the terrorist in Air Force One said, "the TA is like the Queen of England, she can't even get airline tickets without talking to a professor." <roughly changed to work with this example.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Typically, it's wiser to ask the Prof directly instead of the TA. The TA may not have the authority to make that decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could also be the case that the professor doesn't know or care anything about the paper. A good deal of TAs have a surprising amount of freedom when grading because the professor doesn't want to be bothered.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Typically, it's wiser to ask the Prof directly instead of the TA. The TA may not have the authority to make that decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could also be the case that the professor doesn't know or care anything about the paper. A good deal of TAs have a surprising amount of freedom when grading because the professor doesn't want to be bothered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's true as well. I let my TA grade first drafts and then i grade all further revisions. Different profs do things differently.