Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: QQ on K high flop

WHy do you want to thrwo a blocking bet?
Let him bluff or bet any two you ve represented AK.
5 dollars is not a blocking bet here but more for value, but I don't think it's a best line.
Get called by anything that beats you, he 'll raise his very strong hands and you don't gibe him a chance to bluff a his draws.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:28 PM

Okay, why would two pair or better fire this river? Why wouldnt either one of those hands bet the turn? So youre saying villain is playing in reverse Im assuming? As far as the blocking bet is concerned, I wouldnt bet 5 here, thats a regular size bet IMO. I would bet like 2 here if I was to attempt this. Im just uncertain if that is better or letting villain bluff.

Villain is in position. No way checks behind on the turn with 2 pair/set. This is insanely weak tight thinking.

Given that villain likes mid-pair way too much, the fact that the flush draw didn't make it, and that it looks like a whiffed c-bet from us. I call the river.

[ QUOTE ]
Given description of player and the way this hand played I can say with certainty that this is a river value bet with two pair or better

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Villain has position here you realise? It's not like he checked OOP expecting hero to bet again. If he has two pair or a set and checked behind on the turn on a double suited board, villain is a donk.

Tough spot, I would call expecting to see 77 or a busted club flush draw.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:30 PM

From this hand, it is hard to see him as a LAG. LAG's don't open limp. If he's a LAG, he should be betting his draws and his made hands when checked to, and you said he bets mid-pairs when checked to. The turn check behind is so non-ag. But anyway, some hand ranges that might limp/call PF and play the hand this way:

Kx check behind turn for pot control, planning to call a bet on the river or value bet if checked to.

PPs like 99-JJ, or 77.

Stats could help narrow this down (like is VP$IP 40+ or <30), but limp/acll can be lots of SC, or suited 1-2 gappers, or even sometimes even just any 2 suited that aren't really low, or connected non-suited cards. These would have a chance to hit a pr and a draw on the flop, and even back door the flush.

It could be a weak float where he doesn't have the nerve to fire until you check twice.

I can call river here or fold it. River is basically a coin flip for me, the more tilted I am the more likely I call. If I am way ahead on my session, I probably fold. Without any stats, I really don't feel strongly one way or the other about calling or folding. Getting a little over 2:1 to call, my guess is you are probably ahead here just about enough to making both calling and folding neither that much -EV or +EV.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given description of player and the way this hand played I can say with certainty that this is a river value bet with two pair or better

[/ QUOTE ]

Well no offense, but unless you were villain I don't see how you can say that with certainty. No sets are letting that turn check through, and neither are 2 pair, so this would have to be 54 or 55, which is a pretty damn narrow range to put him on. If we're beat here I'd say it's more likely a 7 or a K, not something that hit the flop or turn hard and decided to wait until river to wake up. If it's a K, then a blocker will let us see the showdown cheaper than checking would, and it also discourages bluffs on a scary board. If we put $3-$4 out there and get raised it's an easy fold.

Edit: Also, OP describes villain as LAG. What loose aggressive players are ever checking that turn when they have a big hand?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:34 PM

Gregorio villain was definitely LAG throughout the session up until this point. That is what made this hand so much harder for me. I see him betting mid pair when checked to on two separate occasions, and all of a sudden he checks behind, it really threw me off. My plan was to c/c his turn bet and honestly probably c/c a reasonable river bet. But his check threw everything off because it was uncharacteristic of him, it actually made me fear his hand more for some reason but with that said, nothing in villain's line makes sense to me.

EDIT: I guess he was more LAG postflop than pre flop though. I honestly had not been keeping track of his pre flop game, it was his aggressiveness post flop that made me take some notes on him.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:36 PM

I think that with your line it is very easy to assume your range does not include the 7. That being said I believe with your bet in your position we can safely put you on a high pocket pair or a hand like A K. Since he is LAG as you said I can see him limp calling with all sorts of suited connecters preflop. I believe with a vast majority of those connecters he his going to float that flop with and definately if he has Clubs. Now knowing your range he can safely bet this river with lots of two pairs and the more I think about it the straight which he most likley has.