Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: NL 25 - QJ vs loose opponent

I think most of the people who responded didn't see that CO only has $8.65

push
Old 10-27-2007, 10:56 PM

I think making your reasoning for a push due to his smaller stack can be a major leak. If hes short but youre well behind more often than not, then you fold. You keep doubling up short stackers and im sure its going to dramatically affect your win rate. Just look at this guy's stats, they dont suggest he does this with a weaker top pair hand.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think making your reasoning for a push due to his smaller stack can be a major leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? the size of his stack is the reason why we are getting a little better than 2:1 here. the size of his stack (along with his vpip) is the reason why I think he doesn't just fold to a c-bet with Q9 or even something like 99 or 87 sometimes...and it is also the reason why I think he doesn't just call our bet with those hands even though his AF is so low...

[ QUOTE ]
If hes short but youre well behind more often than not, then you fold. You keep doubling up short stackers and im sure its going to dramatically affect your win rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

not if you still win more than ~33% of the time

[ QUOTE ]
Just look at this guy's stats, they dont suggest he does this with a weaker top pair hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

as I mentioned above, I think his true AF here will be higher than what it shows because of his stack size( that is, he makes this minraise more often than he normally would simply because his stack is so short...IMO a person with a $9 stack does not just call our flop bet with something like Q9 or even something like 87 as much as he might when he had a larger stack..and I can't think of any ways that his AF would be skewed in the other direction because of a short stack.

listen, I'm not saying that he doesn't have us beat most of the time, I'm saying that we win often enough to get it in here on a little better than 2:1..and I think we show a profit
Old 10-27-2007, 11:30 PM

I understand what youre getting at, but I dont think we win even 33% of the time here. It would be closer getting 4:1 I guess though.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand what youre getting at, but I dont think we win even 33% of the time here. It would be closer getting 4:1 I guess though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Board: Qs 8c 3h
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 35.650% 29.83% 05.82% 18603 3632.00 { QhJd }
Hand 1: 64.350% 58.53% 05.82% 36503 3632.00 { QQ+, 88, 33, AQs, KQs, Q8s+, AQo, KQo, Q8o+ }

I really don't see him having a tighter range than this very often...and I was generous in including AA-QQ IMO...and if those are in there, JJ-99 will probably be in there as well IMO

and this is a good time to once again talk about something that I don't think many people seem to understand

I'm going to make a a new thread about it
Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cant do that sniii, villain only has 8 bucks so its push or fold time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, right, my bad.. Well, seeing he's short and his vpip is above 50, I'd end up pushing here. More often than not, this guy has a lower kicker than ours.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 AM

Im not sure that more often than not he has a lower kicker. In fact, much more often than not he has us beat. I guess the point prodigy was trying to make was that villain CAN show up with worse though. And the fact that he can show up with worse once in a while affects the equity enough to make pushing a profitable move. Everyone says push, but I dont care about that, I care about why. I think prodigy explained why, check out his other post.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:21 AM

I think playing QJo OOP with a shorstack with over 50% VPIP left to act behind me is a major leak

nevertheless we are in the hand and shortstacks play so weird, i have been in a similar situation many times and was shown anything from Q4s to 99, TT

also the sample size for his stacks is very small so his AF is nowhere near accurate

I just push here
Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not sure that more often than not he has a lower kicker. In fact, much more often than not he has us beat. I guess the point prodigy was trying to make was that villain CAN show up with worse though. And the fact that he can show up with worse once in a while affects the equity enough to make pushing a profitable move. Everyone says push, but I dont care about that, I care about why. I think prodigy explained why, check out his other post.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right; I was merely talking out of earlier experiences from these kind of situations. Whether that is a leak in my play though, I don't know; that's why I am playing uNL (even though ranking up in stakes)
Old 10-28-2007, 10:58 AM

I was given an advice not long ago on this forum:

against shorstacks play hands that have high top pair value and if you hit top pair play for stacks

we do not have that good a hand here but we have top pair decent kicker

it's a marginal spot though - the difference between folding and pushing is not big IMO so whatever you do it can't be a big mistake