Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: 50NL river bluff, yay or nay?

I'm not trying to justify this bet, I thought it wasn't too shabby at the time, the more I think about it, the more I dislike it. But to just generally say that you don't make money by bluffing at the micros isn't a type of statement that I can agree with.

Open up your mind to how you can take advantage of every possible situation, and don't necessarily auto respond to "This is uNL, everybody calls with everything".

As I do agree the majority of your wins will come from value betting hands where your opponents are obviously beat, never underestimate a good bluff, even at these levels. This is one of the few of my river bluffs that hasn't worked lately, as I usually have a very high river bluff success which I can guarentee you makes up for a small portion of my winrate.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:06 AM

I think you find a bluff +EV in this spot close to never at micros, people <3 calling down bluffy looking bets on 4-straight boards (for example, if you had KJ or 5c6c this line would've been great). Unless you have a read that villain is literally the biggest nit you've ever played with, this will not be profitable; Even weak/tight players will call with aces up here, not to mention the times they have a jack.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 AM

The only reason at the time I thought this bluff was good at the time was because he checked the turn, I put his flop calling range more towards pocket pairs between 4-Q. That is all.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 AM

When I make moves, I almost always do it with outs, or with a good scare card when I am in position and villain checks to me. I also do it when I have a read that villain is capable of folding sometimes. I am not saying your bluffs will NEVER work, but for them to have any success they have to be done in very specific situations. This is not of those. I just find that I do not make much money at all from attempting moves in general. Even players who I find to be decent do not make the folds I expect them to after certain moves.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:11 AM

One tip I can give you for making bigger bluffs in uNL is when the final bet is on the river, whether or not it is a flop-river or turn-river bluff. When it's on the flop-turn people tend to call down a lot more lightly chasing their slim odds. Whereas on the river they have no room to improve, they are much more willing to give up their weaker made hands and obviously their missed draws as well.

The fact that the weaker field in uNL doesn't anticipate bets on future streets is what makes bluffing on the flop-turn not as hot as it is in SSNL+
Old 10-27-2007, 12:15 AM

I am sure that has some merit as right now I dont think I ever bluff the river. I might give it a try, but I honestly still dont think its a huge part of a winrate at these levels. I think even if it works it still comprises only a small part of the winrate, and it also increases your variance.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure that has some merit as right now I dont think I ever bluff the river. I might give it a try, but I honestly still dont think its a huge part of a winrate at these levels. I think even if it works it still comprises only a small part of the winrate, and it also increases your variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

A huge part of your winrate, absolutely not, i'm not saying that it is. But if it can add even 1pt/bb to your winrate in the long run, than it's deffinatly worth it. If you miss a good bluffing opportunity that your opponents also miss, than you're making the exact same mistake that they are. And as we all know, making mistakes has a negative effect on our winrates.

If you'd like to PM me, I can send you a few hands where i've made some successful but very basic river bluffs if I can find them in my database. As I feel many players can benefit from the weak/tight players out there who are willing to fold because they have the 2nd nuts and somebody shoved.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:30 AM

Good points again, but I honestly will probably pass on the 1pt/bb for the reduce in variance I will see when I get called by randomness. I also dont even think the winrate is that high from the bluffs though, but I could be way off I guess. I would probably give it more like .5pt/bb.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:32 AM

What's the point in reducing varience? You should never give up on equity to save yourself some swings. Unless you're on a limited bankroll and the money means a ton to you. Which i'm sure for most of us certainly isn't the case as this is uNL.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:27 AM

I get looked up by like A7 here every time.