10. Virginia Tech

I guess? I quit now.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Re: College Football Rank \'em --- Week 8

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bama is a top 27 team also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this was definitely our best game of the year. The defense finally showed up. If we can keep playing like that, we'll do fine. I'm not sure the D can sustain that performance though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The D looked really shakey in the beginning of the game. However, we were a 30-35 ranked team coming into the game and absolutely smoked the #21 team. That puts Bama around #22-25 IMO.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

LMFAO @ Auburn. Seriously, moving a team up 5 spots after a loss is downright laughable. If you want to leave them in the top 25, fine by me. I think they are a good team, but #12 is funny. Bama is a top 27 team also. USC should drop more IMO too, they lost to an unranked team. Uconn #19 is also a stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost put alabama in there but saw they lost to florida state. i had florida state ranked last week but dropped them after today's loss to miami. bama deserves to be in there.

auburn at 12 isn't laughable.

they go to florida and win !!!

they go to LSU and ALMOST win !!!

they lose a squeaker to S florida

they go to Arkansas and win

they route vandy

they beat a semi-decent kansas state
Old 10-21-2007, 01:55 AM

Hmm, that would be 7 of their games. If that was their whole schedule, I don't think anyone would have a problem with them in the Top 12. However, there's also that pesky loss to 4-4 Mississippi State. I agree that they shouldn't be punished too much though. They were a different team early in the year and especially during the "bench Brandon Cox" experiment.

I think their results the last few weeks show they're clearly a Top 20 team. I decided not to drop them at all this week, and left them in the same #16 spot where I had them last week.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LMFAO @ Auburn. Seriously, moving a team up 5 spots after a loss is downright laughable. If you want to leave them in the top 25, fine by me. I think they are a good team, but #12 is funny. Bama is a top 27 team also. USC should drop more IMO too, they lost to an unranked team. Uconn #19 is also a stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost put alabama in there but saw they lost to florida state. i had florida state ranked last week but dropped them after today's loss to miami. bama deserves to be in there.

auburn at 12 isn't laughable.

they go to florida and win !!!

they go to LSU and ALMOST win !!!

they lose a squeaker to S florida

they go to Arkansas and win

they route vandy

they beat a semi-decent kansas state

[/ QUOTE ]

They also lost to Miss St. I realize that was somewhat of a fluke (ie, MSU isn't better than them) but at this point in the year I can't justify putting a team with 3 losses that high unless they lost top 3 top 5 teams and have wins over a couple of top 10 teams.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:17 AM

Edit: oops, wrong thread.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:39 AM

Actually, on further review, I think I should switch Oklahoma and BC. I mean being tied 7-7 in the 4th with Iowa State is really bad. This is the same team that lost to Toledo, Kent State, and Northern Iowa and lost by 55 to Texas just last week. BC's win over GT is way better than anything Oklahoma's done on the road this year.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
24. Virginia (this is a gift, they would have lost to Maryland if it wasn't for a ridiculous spot on the last drive)

[/ QUOTE ]

[uvahomer]i actually haven't looked at the replay with the overhead view yet to see how far he might've been from the 1st, but from the replay reviews, he looked like he made it. I've heard that looking at it from the other view he looked a half a yard shy, but haven't replayed it for myself yet to know for sure. Either way, i think calling it a ridiculous spot is a bit exaggerated.

also, uva was pretty dominant in a lot of other aspects like offensive yards, and i think the win makes it pretty hard to argue UVA doesn't belong in the top 25, though i agree with you we deserve to be in the 22-25 range.[/uvahomer]
Old 10-21-2007, 03:08 AM

He was going out of bounds at a 45 degree angle, and when he went down, he was directly at the first down marker, still short of where they spotted it, and already half a yard out of bounds. He looked at least half a yard short to me and I think it was blatant enough that they should have overturned it on the review even if they didn't get it the first time. I definitely don't think he deserved the first down there.

With that said, I had a little rooting interest against UVA myself tonight, as I've still kind of been holding out hope that GT could win the Coastal at 5-3. Virginia beating Maryland knocks their chances from around 5% down to maybe 1% so I definitely wasn't happy with the result.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 AM

And just because I'm bored, I'm going to continue my rankings from #26 on down to #41 (arbitrary stopping point after running out of teams that deserved recognition)

26. Connecticut
27. Cincinnatti
28. Kansas State
29. Boise State
30. Hawaii
31. Purdue
32. Oregon State
33. Tennessee
34. Georgia Tech
35. Oklahoma State
36. Texas Tech
37. Illinois