Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Why arent the smartest people running our countries?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... or you pick your political leaders from an elite - sometimes called meritocracy. Iow. not traditional democracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because in traditional democracy we don't pick our leaders based on their merit, of course. Those who rise to the top based on their true merit (i.e., meritocracy) are anathema to both the traditional power holders and the masses. Which is one more reason why governments are usually the suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it always sounds like a sweet deal until you figure out it is ultimately only the people with merit who gets to say who has merit.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it always sounds like a sweet deal until you figure out it is ultimately only the people with merit who gets to say who has merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better to make it a popularity contest, or a matter of who has more money to dump on campaigning.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meritocracy is a system of a government or another organization wherein appointments are made and responsibilities are given based on demonstrated ability (merit) and talent rather than by wealth (plutocracy), family connections (nepotism), class privilege, cronyism, popularity (as in democracy) or other historical determinants of social position and political power.

Since you are against using merit and talent as a measure, which of the other choices do you prefer: (a) wealth, (b) popularity, (c) social position, (d) political power, (e) family connections, (f) class privilege, or perhaps, (g) cronyism. Cronyism sounds like the bomb!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Better to make it a popularity contest, or a matter of who has more money to dump on campaigning.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true

I always hated the money aspect of politics. I dont think it's conducive to the country's best interest.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so true

I always hated the money aspect of politics. I dont think it's conducive to the country's best interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the 'country' doesn't have best interests. People do. And there's always a trade-off. And the role of government is to impose the will of some over all, and politicans' role is to sell it to people as if it's in the 'country's' best interest which is a meaningless term. Which is why I go back to: governments are the suck. The sooner we all realize this charade the better.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because most people hate smart people.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is extremely accurate. my dad worked directing and producing televised events for the dukakis campaign, dukakis was extremely intelligent and surrounded himself with intellectuals, unlike bush who surrounded himself with the good ol' boys. dukakis was so removed from the general population that he came of to most as arrogant and alienating. politics isn't about intelligence, it is about charisma; people dont care how well someone can run a country, they more about how someone can appear to run a country. The greatest example of this is reagan, he was an awful president comparatively but appeared to be immaculate.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:25 AM

Re: Why arent the smartest people running our countries?

Because no one is smart enough to rule anyone besides ones "self". Even for "smart" people this often is the most difficult of all tasks.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:12 AM

"Why arent the smartest people running our countries?"

because everyone gets to vote thus intelligence is an unnecessary requirement for a candidate.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

because everyone gets to vote

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad votes don't count. What does count is the money that exchanges hands based on the illusion of any of it counting.

Make em believe it, and then make them willingly pay for believing it. I do this while playing poker. Its how I know its done by "the eye".

Poker warfare off the table is "dangerous knowledge" in the wrong hands, I would imagine.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

because everyone gets to vote

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad votes don't count. What does count is the money that exchanges hands based on the illusion of any of it counting.

Make em believe it, and then make them willingly pay for believing it. I do this while playing poker. Its how I know its done by "the eye".

Poker warfare off the table is "dangerous knowledge" in the wrong hands, I would imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]