Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 AM

Default Re: I play like Scuba

[ QUOTE ]
I think checking this river is a huge disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think checking this river allows a player to either overbet with nada to steal or bet tooo much with KKK.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think checking this river allows a player to either overbet with nada to steal or bet tooo much with KKK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or bet with a worse showdown hand.. I agree though.

You might get a little payoff from a hand like a flopped OESD+pair, but imo it won't make up for the times checking works in your favor. You might even have him betting his pair for no reason.

I think the flop lead is a little better than Scuba's, stacks are a little deeper for pot manipulation.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the flop lead is a little better than Scuba's, stacks are a little deeper for pot manipulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you insinuating that I suggested a line of action for this hand? Because I didn't.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:29 AM

sorry I was referring the the hand suggested in the OP.. I should have been more clear.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you insinuating that I suggested a line of action for this hand? Because I didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? I'm curious where I went wrong in my Scuba impersonation.

Anyway, here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Flop....I like to bet out on the flop a lot...with a draw, top pair, a set...whatever, so betting makes sense for me. Especially with 1500 chips. I'm also looking for a few more outs by getting hands like KQ or AT to fold here.

Turn....The king may be scary to my opponent, so why not just bet out again. A lot of people will call my 60 on the flop with just overcards or 2nd pair thinking I'm just making a play. When I fire again, they know I'm serious and that they'll probably be facing another bet on the river. Standard for me. I don't think I need to bet more than 100 to accomplish this.

River....I felt funny checking this, but I knew Scuba would so why not try it. After 2 quick calls by the villian, I figured he was on a draw. A straight draw aint calling any bet. Axh is strong possibility, but so is something like 87h. I'm going to get paid by 87h or Kx either way, so I figure I'll check and maybe avoid getting pwned by Axh or a strangely played boat.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:21 AM

I would have bet the turn harder just as I would with a made hand. I see no reason to check the river, he has all kinds of stupid things that he could cry call with but not bet.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:16 AM

im curious as to what everybody thinks when a villain bets that kind of flop then bets again when an off overcard falls on the turn. am i a fish to think that this is usually a draw (assume party/stars low buyin $30 and under)?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:25 AM

i wouldnt check the river i would make a value bet. i think he would call coz your betting doesnt seem to represent a flush.
nice play but i dont check what i think is the best hand just in case opponent checks 2.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking of Scuba's A3s hand the other day while playing this hand. Is this how Scuba would play it? Does that make it right?

PS 55 Turbo

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

MP2 (t1960)
MP3 (t1580)
CO (t1460)
Button (t1240)
Hero (t1480)
BB (t1320)
UTG (t1480)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1480)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t80) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls t60, CO folds.

Turn: (t200) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, MP2 calls t100.

River: (t400) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t500</font>, Hero calls t500.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand is quite a bit weaker than Scuba's. He had the nut flush draw, a straight draw, and the A overcard.

I like betting the flop, but don't understand the 1/2 pot turn bet with nada and a weak draw against someone who apparently likes to chase. You rate to be behind at that point, and your reverse implied odds suck. Either try to blow him off the pot with 175 bet or just check it, I think.

K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] saved you on the river, probably, although you still might be busted. I could go either way with betting or checking, but you can't get away from the hand, of course.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking of Scuba's A3s hand the other day while playing this hand. Is this how Scuba would play it? Does that make it right?

PS 55 Turbo

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

MP2 (t1960)
MP3 (t1580)
CO (t1460)
Button (t1240)
Hero (t1480)
BB (t1320)
UTG (t1480)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1480)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t80) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls t60, CO folds.

Turn: (t200) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, MP2 calls t100.

River: (t400) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t500</font>, Hero calls t500.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand is quite a bit weaker than Scuba's. He had the nut flush draw, a straight draw, and the A overcard.

I like betting the flop, but don't understand the 1/2 pot turn bet with nada and a weak draw against someone who apparently likes to chase. You rate to be behind at that point, and your reverse implied odds suck. Either try to blow him off the pot with 175 bet or just check it, I think.

K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] saved you on the river, probably, although you still might be busted. I could go either way with betting or checking, but you can't get away from the hand, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHY IS THIS FISH GIVING ADVICE????????