Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 11:39 PM

Default Re: College Basketball Catch up Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
College hoops ftw.

I know 'Cuse is supposed to have a sick incoming class & are unranked. Last time that happened it worked out ok [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It'd be cool if the G'town rivalry heated up again; but this ridiculous 300 team conference isn't helping.

[/ QUOTE ]

We lost the big 3 but it's good to start over. Not having Rautins this year sucks. Stupid Canadian national team.

But the starting line-up will probably look something like this:

PG: Jonny Flynn (Josh Wright might start until Flynn gets his feet wet.)
SG: Eric Devendorf
SF: Paul Harris
PF: Donte Green
C: Arinze Onauku

Both Flynn and Greene are 5 star recruits and should be impressive right away. Two other recruits in 6-8 235 Rick Jackson and SG Antonio Jardine should contribute right away. Also 6-8 JuCo transfer Kristof Ongenaet was added for depth to a very young frontcourt.

Depending on how the young players adjust and if Paul Harris progresses, this could be a very dangerous team late in the season. They are in most experts top 25 but with no seniors that will see any playing team, this team will have a lot of growing pains. Should be a fun season.

It looks like they're gonna red shirt 6-11 freshman Sean Williams. He's probably too thin to contribute yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize Rautins left - that sucks. Can Flynn shoot or is he the slasher type? Hopefully both if he's 5star; otherwise where's the deep threat?

It'd be nice if Devendorf doesn't turn it over 10 times every other game.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:36 AM

Rautins has a torn ACL, he didn't leave. As for my school, ND should be pretty good this year, the backcourt should be very good with Tory Jackson and McAlarney, both with point guard ball handling ability and Jackson the slasher and McAlarney the shooter. Kurz and Harangody should be good down low, I'm excited to see how much Harangody progressed from his freshman year, if he developed a left hand he'd be pretty tough to stop. We'll probably score a lot of points and give up a lot of points, the schedule is a joke until conference play, and the Big East should be tougher this year, so who knows how things will shake out, but I hope to at least make the tournament again and try not to have the worst shooting game of the year in the first round.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
College hoops ftw.

I know 'Cuse is supposed to have a sick incoming class & are unranked. Last time that happened it worked out ok [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It'd be cool if the G'town rivalry heated up again; but this ridiculous 300 team conference isn't helping.

[/ QUOTE ]

We lost the big 3 but it's good to start over. Not having Rautins this year sucks. Stupid Canadian national team.

But the starting line-up will probably look something like this:

PG: Jonny Flynn (Josh Wright might start until Flynn gets his feet wet.)
SG: Eric Devendorf
SF: Paul Harris
PF: Donte Green
C: Arinze Onauku

Both Flynn and Greene are 5 star recruits and should be impressive right away. Two other recruits in 6-8 235 Rick Jackson and SG Antonio Jardine should contribute right away. Also 6-8 JuCo transfer Kristof Ongenaet was added for depth to a very young frontcourt.

Depending on how the young players adjust and if Paul Harris progresses, this could be a very dangerous team late in the season. They are in most experts top 25 but with no seniors that will see any playing team, this team will have a lot of growing pains. Should be a fun season.

It looks like they're gonna red shirt 6-11 freshman Sean Williams. He's probably too thin to contribute yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize Rautins left - that sucks. Can Flynn shoot or is he the slasher type? Hopefully both if he's 5star; otherwise where's the deep threat?

It'd be nice if Devendorf doesn't turn it over 10 times every other game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rautins was injured playing for the Canadian national team. Ruptured ACL. He's out for the season.

Flynn is a decent 3-point shooter but not the next JJ Redick. He's a top notch PG though, he can do it all. Devendorf has a pretty good 3-point shot. Harris was decent 3-point shooter in high school, not sure what happened last year. Also freshman Antonia Jardine can drain it from 3 and he'll get some time at the 2 this year.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Illinois will suck and consider it a success to go one-and-done in the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...no SG this year

anywhere from 3rd to 7th in the Big11Ten is the range...I expect 5th or 6th

they'll play hard-nosed D and awful offense (while making few turnovers which is just plain weird) just like last year

they'll be very ugly to watch for most people

their big11ten schedule did them no favors
Old 10-17-2007, 01:44 AM

Yea, Illinois is not fun to watch. I remember the illinois gtown game a couple years ago, was painful to watch, and there was like 20 total points scored at half.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:45 AM

+

=

Old 10-17-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

+

=

[/ QUOTE ]

i devoutly hope so, but the potential lack of an outside shooter is our achilles. here's to hoping ellington learned how to shoot 40%+ from 3 in the offseason (and also that tyler learned how to pass out of the post).
Old 10-17-2007, 01:53 AM

Sorry about last year Tar Heels.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

+

=

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes sir.

Here is my projection for our starting lineup:

PG: Ty Lawson (So.)
SG: Wayne Ellington (So.)
SG/SF: Marcus Ginyard (Jr.)
PF: Deon Thompson (So.)
C: Tyler Hansbrough (Jr.)

I really like our starting lineup this year and I think starting Ginyard will prove to be very valuable. He is the perfect glue guy on a national title contender in that he plays great defense and provides excellent offensive rebounding for a guard. He won't look to score much, which we really won't need with our starting lineup. I really think Deon Thompson has a great chance to be an All ACC caliber performer.

The main things that worry me about this team are outside shooting and backup PG. Ellington is very capable of making the outside shot, but if he becomes a consistent threat from deep, this team just becomes almost impossible to guard. Lawson needs to hit open looks, which I think he may see plenty of. I'm somewhat concerned about the backup PG position because Thomas is being bothered by a knee and the status of Frasor's foot isn't really going to be known until he plays and practices more. Frasor is very important to this team because he has the ability to knock down the outside shot as well helping Thomas spell Lawson for 10-12 minutes a game, allowing Ty to go full throttle.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry about last year Tar Heels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're very sorry [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. On the brightside, thanks for getting Greg Monroe away from Durham since they were pinning their entire 08-09 post rotation around him showing up. Oops...

That game still gives me nightmares. How we stopped getting the ball inside and instead relied on jumpshots for the last 8 minutes of regulation and all of overtime, I'll never know. I love Roy, but his hatred of calling timeouts to stop an opposing teams big run confuses me and will continue to confuse me.