Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Need a Quick Recipe

NOTHING easier then this one:

Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 box Stove Top Stuffing

Place chicken in pan, pour can of soup over chicken, place stuffing (mixed with enough water to get moist) on top of soup. Bake at 350 for 30 mins.

Exact recipe on Stove Top boxes or on their website. It's yummy and EASY.

T
Old 10-14-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 box Stove Top Stuffing

Place chicken in pan, pour can of soup over chicken, place stuffing (mixed with enough water to get moist) on top of soup. Bake at 350 for 30 mins.

T

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, this sounds like something I used to make all the time. There are those boxes of "Supper Bakes." All you have to do is buy the chicken, and then the box comes with everything. That could be easy.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:07 PM

Not chicken, but still quick and easy (and great tasting)

TARRAGON FISH AND VEGETABLES

1 tsp olive oil
2 carrots – cut into julienne strips
1 zucchini – cut into julienne strips
1 cup red onion – sliced
1 small bell pepper – sliced
8 oz tilapia
1 tsp dried tarragon leaves
2 T light butter

Heat oven to 400°. Put Olive oil in sautee pan on med-high heat. Add veggies and stir-fry about 2 minutes or until very crisply tender. Add tarragon.
Arrange fish in a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with PAM. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Top with veggie mixture. Dot with butter. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

You can certainly do more fish and/or vegetables, just increase the cooking time a bit.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 box Stove Top Stuffing

T

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, this sounds like something I used to make all the time. There are those boxes of "Supper Bakes." All you have to do is buy the chicken, and then the box comes with everything. That could be easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

At risk of sounding judgemental and snobbish, it pains me to read this.

If you don't want to cook for your girlfriend, get takeout or delivery, or go out to eat. But if you do want to cook for her, why choose something that you have zero control over?

Look, if you make this meal it's "cooking" only in the sense that you bought the chicken raw and proceeded to bring it up to temperature. Assuming you follow that recipe, the only choices you've made are which boxed mixtures to buy, and maybe what temperature to set the oven at.

Cream of mushroom soup + boneless/skinless chicken breast isn't going to taste like chicken, and it sure isn't going to taste like -your- chicken. It's a salt bomb plus cream, a little processed mushroom and the most boring piece of meat available.

Cooking isn't hard. If it were, most people wouldn't do it. It just takes a little willingness to try new things, acceptance that it won't always be perfect, and the ability to decide what you want.

My suggestion(s):

First, buy the whole chicken. If you don't want to do that, buy chicken thighs, which are tender and flavorful and don't dry out.

Second, brown your chicken. Dredge it in some flour, season it with some salt and pepper, and then drop it into a hot skillet with some oil. You want a dish that tastes richly of chicken? THIS is the step.

Chop some veggies. Carrots, onion, mushrooms. Sautree them in a pot and then pour in some chicken stock and red wine. Add the chicken. Toss in some garlic and thyme. Set your oven at like 300 degrees and let it go a couple of hours.

Pull it out, pull out the chicken, reduce/thicken the sauce. Serve over rice or noodles.

Good cooking is not about strange ingredients. It's about taking the ingredients at Wal Mart and the local grocery and making them yours. Fewer ingredients, making a dish that tastes like what is in it -- not like whatever some factory stuck in some can.

No, it's not the easiest thing in the world. But it is that simple. Basic techniques go a -long- way. And it's more healthy than canned crap, more satisfying and rewarding, and I think it's an enjoyable thing to do with someone else.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:59 PM

I wasn't going to buy just a boxed dinner and then follow the directions. When I said "That would be easy," I didn't mean I was going to do it.

ElSapo, you're thinking pretty much just like I am thinking. I don't want to be spending hours cooking though. I'm getting some other ideas and talking to her about it. I'm going to stick to chicken breasts because they are easy(er).
Old 10-14-2007, 07:05 PM

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Cut up the chicken breast into small pieces and brown with the onion (or just save money and buy chicken strips/ends). When browning, add in some sweet peppers, eggplant/zucchini if you like, and 1-2 diced tomatoes. If no tomatoes are available, use a can of crushed ones instead.

Let that simmer for a moment or two, then add as much salt + pepper, cayenne pepper, chili peppers, chili paste, or curry powder as you like. (I put a bunch of each in). Add half a cup of ketchup, then stir in half a can coconut milk. If it looks too thick, add in a half cup of water as well. Let simmer until you get the thickness you wish and enjoy a pretty simple curry.

Lime juice and cilantro/coriander do wonders to make this taste more thai-ish, if you like that.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:11 AM

So what did you make?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what did you make?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't made it yet. Will be cooking dinner later today.

We decided on Chicken Fajitas, with a recipe I got off of RunnersWorld.com

I appreciate everyone taking the time to give me ideas. I will have to experiment a little bit before I start becoming a full-time chef. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2007, 05:43 PM

chicken fajitas doesn't sound like anything new
Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
chicken fajitas doesn't sound like anything new

[/ QUOTE ]

It was new compared to what we normally make. They were good too.

I'll definitely remember this thread and try some of the other things when I get a chance.