Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Winning online player struggling in live tourney

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play mainly online and am a winning player, cashing in 78% of my last 2500 tourneys, mainly 3 to 5 table SNG, with over a 40% first place finishes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but this is not close to believable. No one sustains a win rate that high at any level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it, but lets crunch some numbers here, just to be sure. Let's assume 100% 3-table SNG structure like on 'Stars. $10 + 1 buy-in 1st place pays $100. 2500 tourneys says $27,500 invested. 78% ITM means he cashed 1950 times, 40% of that for 1st = 780 1sts or $78,000. That leaves 1170 other cashes. Lets assume equal spread among 2nd through 5th so the average payout there @$42.50 = $49,720.

Let's calculate ROI

$127,720 collected - $27,500 invested + 100,220 profit for an ROI of 364.44%.

That's about 20 times as profitable as the best poker players on earth could expect to be in a good year.

Yeah, I call BS, too. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 PM

Kurn, read the previous post I made before you bash me too much.

Sorry.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The truth is I do not know what my true SNG stats are and was only trying to draw the disparity I have experienced in live vs online play and, as a previous poster said, pulled the stats out of my arse...

I value the advice I get and enjoy the discussions on this forum and hope this one time of "imbellishing" the truth will not make anyone form an ill opinion of me as all I want to do is get better. It was a ridiculous thing to claim and even more ridiculous to try to justify it and for that I am sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for doing that. It is a commendable and sadly rare act to retract an incorrect statement instead of defending it to the death against all evidence. I accept your apology.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kurn, read the previous post I made before you bash me too much.

Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw it after I posted that. But another point (and not a bashing). In the post where you came clean you stated that you had no idea what your true record was. That's fine, but the first step to improving your game is keeping detailed and accurate records. You don't need Pokertracker to do that. A pen and a notebook work just fine.

As far as improving your game, being honest on this site is irrelevant (though you can get a lot of good advice here), but being honest with yourself is a requirement.

I'd apologize for being too rough on you, but the truth is, this game isn't for the weak-willed or overly sensitive, and can kick you a lot harder than words in cyberspace.