Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: NL25: Lost value? Very basic newbie question.

Usually I would 3bet preflop. But this guy was an unknown mid-stack (15$) and usually midstacks raises are much more powerful than fullstack raises. They dont steal so frequently and raising means more value.

Also 3beting dont guarantee to see the flop. Villain may just shove because he is midstack and pot is quite big compared his stack. And if he just call my 3bet and I dont hit the set, he may check/donk bet with AA, with trash with anything. And I cant do anything against him. If he donks pot I cant raise because I am automatically commited then with only a pair of fives. And I make his decision very easy - he just fold bluff and call with better hands. If he checks and I CBET he may CRAI with anything, with any ace, with any mid pair, with air and also I have to fold.

And thats why I just called for set value. If he really had a power-hand - AK, premiums etc. Then I stack him easily if I hit set (its much easier to stack midies than fulltacker) and also can get away easily. If I dont hit set and villain checks, I check behind to take free turn card. Another chance to hit set and crush him. If he had nothing, he check the turn again and I may try to take the pot down now or just check behind. If he attack the pot with nothing on the turn - I fold, take my 75 cents.

Less riskier, less invested but more profitable. IMO.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 PM

I think smooth calling is a lot more flexible line. Even more so if the stacks are deep. I don't, though, think we're calling for just set value. I think we smooth call to play poker. This is especially true if the short stack has shown himself to be a weak player.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's true and I would raise the flop a lot here too. But, there are still times when you may want the villain to catch up a little. I think this is one of those times when you can do that with little risk that he will make a better hand than you and little risk that you won't be able to get his whole stack in.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an A on the board, if there's ever a time to bet your set and not wait for the turn representing huge strength, this is it.

[ QUOTE ]
In any case, the villain never had a hand he could call with, so the question is moot.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only moot if you look at the results of this instance.