Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Cleveland School Shooting

"The academy describes itself on its Web site as a 'small, nontraditional high school that provides a learning environment in which all student believe in their ability to succeed'."

Uhhh....what?

"It adds that the curriculum is 'problem-based' and 'infused' with technology."

Oh, OK.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:35 PM

i would not expect this crap at the magnet schools.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:09 PM

Sounds like a sped school, full of sped students. At least they were segregated from the general population.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:12 PM

i predict that this thread is going to degenerate quickly, i will have to ban a bunch of people, etc
Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"WTF is wrong with this country."

Some people are crazy, it's been this way since approx forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

But school shootings seem like they happen with greater frequency in the US than in other places, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, just genocides, forced genital/breast mutilations, and terroist raids on schools murdering almost 400.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:28 AM

We're way behind on our pre-teen child militias and genocide.

This country is so screwed up and awful, every day I expect to turn on the news and see that there are 13mm Americans at the border trying to get out. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But school shootings seem like they happen with greater frequency in the US than in other places, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, just genocides, forced genital/breast mutilations, and terroist raids on schools murdering almost 400.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what this has to do with anything. Obviously there are places where there is more group violence. Why does this particular mode of individually enacted violence seem to be distinctly American? You do realize that it is possible to ask these questions without saying "America sucks," right?

EDIT: Going back and rereading the thread, America sucks makes a little more sense in the context of the OP. Still, I think the question of why American school shootings seem particularly common is an interesting one.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We're way behind on our pre-teen child militias and genocide.

This country is so screwed up and awful, every day I expect to turn on the news and see that there are 13mm Americans at the border trying to get out. Maybe tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]
we dont want those midgets here imo
Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what this has to do with anything.... Why does this particular mode of individually enacted violence seem to be distinctly American?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you asking why, in a country that contains 300m guns, the odds are good that some random mentally-disturbed adolescent[s] will obtain and use one inappropriately?

And why is that different than the teens who killed dozens of people with guns in Afghanistan, Bosnia, Darfur, Laos, Chechnya, etc? It's not like every time a teen shoots someone overseas it is because there's a military commander with a gun to their head ordering them to do so.

What about the death toll from rioting in mideast countries - isn't that as bad or worse? What about the murders and arsons during the riots in France 2 years ago -- 100 buildings set ablaze, 100+ schools, 10k cars, etc?

The US has <5% of the world's population. For every hour you spend reading/watching TV about our extant problems, one should spend 19 hours doing the same for the Rest of the World, and then you will be able to ask these questions with less of a bias and greater understandng. All countries have their distinct mode of teen violence - civil wars, genocide and rapes, gang wars, riots and arson.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:55 AM

This seems like a straw man argument to me. Who is saying the situation is not worse in those countries? Perhaps a more relevant comparison would be to countries of similar wealth to the US, e.g Japan, western Europe, etc.