Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: AJs in 3bet pot against LAG

I would've called with AK, but with pairs removed from his utg raise/calling range, I didn't see much I could beat. Maybe KQ.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:29 PM

I dont think its bad, but as played I think you gotta call the riv.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:33 PM

yep....call river. It def looks like you have KK, QQ, JJ etc.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:36 PM

This hand is very dependent on what kind of LAG he is. There are good lags and bad lags. Good ones read hands well, adjust to your 3-betting range appropriately (especially oop), and valuebet the hell out of you. Bad ones turn every hand into a bluff / value bluff.

I'm fine with the 3 bet as you're ahead of his range and should be 3-betting him very often in position.

I'm ok with the flop check as it induces bets from worse hands on subsequent streets where you have position and gives you a free card to your BDFD while disguising the strength of your hand. I don’t like that it gives a free card to a diamond draw, but will deal with that as it’s not the greater part of his range.

Turn and river are fine imo. If he wants to be the aggressor oop, give him all the rope he needs.

HOWEVER, all of this is assuming he’s a bad LAG. If he’s a good LAG, you really have to give more credit to his 3-bet calling range and realize that you’re behind a decent amount of the time here. While your hand doesn’t necessarily look like an ace, I think it’s unlikely he’s firing TT-KK on the river here for value. On the river, his range is somewhat polarized imo and leaning more towards value given sizing, board texture, and your turn play. You can certainly show up here with a busted draw and given his 3-bet calling range and way both parties played the hand, with medium hands he’d be better off C/Cing allowing you to bluff missed draws. A $75 lead implies a strong hand betting for value against what he hopes is a mediocre ace.

I’m guessing you won the hand and he showed something stupid like 88. However, against a good lag, I think the decision is much more difficult.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 PM

Oops, missed the 'Hero Folds' part. Reading Comprehension FTW.

I call teh river here if I'm calling the turn (and I'm certainly not folding it).
Old 10-10-2007, 01:46 PM

Very insightful nonetheless, thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 01:48 PM

river fold is horrible. its contradictory to the pf rr...you're rr-ing because you generally think your ahead of his calling range right? (even against the rr, he'll call with worse aces, KQ, etc).

i dont really mind flatting pf either. you don't really know he's a lag given sample size (and probably a lack of observation), could just be running hot/etc. anyways, once you 3-bet pf, i think you HAVE to call this river given the way you got there.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 PM

i like the check on the fop, but if you do that i think you have to call the river. your line looks so weak and if he is a thinking player your hand looks ALOT like 1010,JJ,QQ,KK hoping to showdown cheap on the river. so its possible he is betting here with a fairly wide range.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you don't really know he's a lag given sample size (and probably a lack of observation)

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably deserve this after my river fold. Oh well, trying to learn.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM

not trying to berate you or anything, just think that river is a must call given the passivity of your play thus far in the hand. i think that up until that point, played pretty well (you can also bet/call flop if you want).