Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Creation and Evolution Are One

[ QUOTE ]
How could creation be without evolution? How could evolution be without creation?

Would it be insane to think of them as parts of a whole? It was once insane to think the world was round and not flat when the truth of the matter was that it was round and flat!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well intelligent people may use other words to make it more palatable, like delusional, instead of insane. I am glad you got the point that people used to believe in creation at the same time that they believed the earth was flat and heaps of other nonsense.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:12 PM

I don't think evolution is incompatible with creation. Given a belief in God, to me it makes a lot more sense to assume that God created evolving life, and perhaps in some way guided the process of evolution, than to try to deny the substantial evidence for evolution because it doesn't fit a literal interpretation of the Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon, or whatever. However, when you do this, you are in the realm of religion and/or philosophy, not science. The existence of God is not scientifically provable or falsifiable, and probably never will be.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think evolution is incompatible with creation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evolution is totally incompatible with the literal interpretation of creation. When cornered Billy Graham would not say he believed in this literal interpretation.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think evolution is incompatible with creation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evolution is totally incompatible with the literal interpretation of creation. When cornered Billy Graham would not say he believed in this literal interpretation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that evolution is incompatible with a literal interpretation of the Bible creation story(s), and probably other religions' creation stories, but I'm not that familiar with creation stories form non-Judeo-Christian religions. I don't think that evolution is incompatible with a more general belief that God created the universe.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's becoming more apparent that even a heavily interpreted version of the bible is hard to line up with evolution.
I was reading a review of Phillip Kitcher's latest book "Living with Darwin. Evolution, design and the future of faith." which had this book quote -

[ QUOTE ]
They recognize that the Darwinian picture of life is at odds with a particular kind of religion, providentialist religion, as I shall call it. A large number of Christians, not merely those who maintain that virtually all of the Bible must be read literally, are providentialists. For they believe that the universe has been created by a Being who has a great design, a Being who cares for his creatures, who observes the fall of every sparrow and who is especially concerned with humanity. Yet the story of a wise and loving Creator who has planned life on earth, letting it unfold over four billion years by the processes envisaged in evolutionary theory, is hard to sustain when you think about the details.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently this is a change of mind for him from an earlier work where he put forth the consilience approach.

Kitcher is a philosopher at Columbia University.

the review was Here

There is hope that the consilience approach is being seen for the fuzzy-headed shoehorning that it is. ( NoMa, naturally, was a bankrupt idea from the getgo).

luckyme
Old 10-10-2007, 09:41 PM

Oh your god, learn to use the quotes properly!!!! Type AFTER the last [/quote ]
Old 10-10-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How could creation be without evolution? How could evolution be without creation?

Would it be insane to think of them as parts of a whole? It was once insane to think the world was round and not flat when the truth of the matter was that it was round and flat!

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Young earth creationism is not compatible with evolution since it states that evolution didn't/doesn't happen. Old earth is, since it says God made thing via evolution. Evolution is compatible with or without old earth creationism, since it could happen with and without god.

2. No, the truth of the matter was it was round (spherical), they just didn't know it. (Or possibly it was some other shape, which they and we didn't/don't know.) Truth does not revolve around popular opinion. The earth was never flat. In no sense was it round and flat.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In no sense was it round and flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously false.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. Understand that I know it may not be "spherical" assuming we make such vast advances in understanding that we can reclassify it, but we know for sure that it certainly is not flat, and there's a very good chance it's spherical.

How is that obviously false? Do you really think that the truth of something is dependent on what most people believe???
Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. Understand that I know it may not be "spherical" assuming we make such vast advances in understanding that we can reclassify it, but we know for sure that it certainly is not flat, and there's a very good chance it's spherical.

How is that obviously false? Do you really think that the truth of something is dependent on what most people believe???

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a poster of the Earth on my wall which is flat?