Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Am I doing alright?

bahh I got a net profit of 3$ today then it dropped down to -4$ over 5 or so hours.. is this something that I should expect to happen often? If 4 hours isn't an accurate enough sample size.. then my god, what is? 4 hours must be a couple hundred hands played, especially for people who multi table!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:54 AM

10,000 hands gives you a good idea on how you play. 1 table for 5hours is around 500 hands.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:32 AM

10k hands is the benchmark. Even that's sketchy. Poker is so long-term it's not even funny. To give you an idea of what I mean, I play 9 tables at a time- 2 sessions a night, one hour each. This usually translates to around 1750-1850 hands per night depending how impatient the masses are.

I'll be down 3 buyins for one night's session, up 5 the next, up 2 the next, down 2 the next... etc. As you can see each night is worth 1800 hands and results are swingy as hell. My pokertracker stats generally stay the same over this time, so it's not like I'm playing different any given night- it's just the nature of the game.