Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Where should my weight be in stance? Heels or balls of feet?

[ QUOTE ]
if the pro was telling you balls of feet, it probably meant you are too far on your heels.

golf is a game of adjustments and you over exaggerate what you are trying to fix until you over correct then you go back the other way and continue like this.

also, an athletic position with a solid base is on your heels AND the balls of your feet. You need a solid base in golf AND you have to be in an athletic position to hit the ball. The two attributes aren't mutually exclusive

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Old 10-08-2007, 10:16 AM

Take your normal width stance with no club.
Then,

Imagine you're standing on a plank laid across two tall buildings.
Jump straigt up.
Land.
Notice where your weight is when you stabilize your landing.

That's how you want your weight distributed when addressing the ball.

OP, don't sweat the small stuff.
There are great ball strikers with a touch more toward the front, as well as back.

Be comfortable, go with your instinct, and don't take every word in Hogan's book, or any other, as the absolute gospel.

Best of luck.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:45 PM

here is something I've found out after hours on the range. For me the weight is biased towards the heels a bit as I like to hit a fade. I've found that playing doglegs that require me to hit a draw I'll lean my weight towards the balls of my feet. For a hole that I'll want to cut the ball more I'll make sure my weight is shaded even more towards my heels.

Kind of simple but very effective for me.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
here is something I've found out after hours on the range. For me the weight is biased towards the heels a bit as I like to hit a fade. I've found that playing doglegs that require me to hit a draw I'll lean my weight towards the balls of my feet. For a hole that I'll want to cut the ball more I'll make sure my weight is shaded even more towards my heels.

Kind of simple but very effective for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

With your weight on your heels too much you will tend to pick the club up more steeply and to the outside more promoting a fade. Conversely with the weight too much on the balls of the feet you will take the club back lower and more to the inside.

Just a natural counter balance to an off balance position. But your instinctive feel is spot on, and provided you don't overdo that, is a good way of changing your ballflight without adjusting your swing too much.