Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Why so many tables?

BTW I 9-table at the moment, and only have one 19" widescreen monitor. Don't be fooled into thinking you've got to drop 800 bucks on a second monitor, provided your eyesight is half decent.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dunno man but sometimes i get the same cards on my tables and it leads me to believe that the whole poker site is so rigged

then i see the same flops over and over and im POSITIVE that the sites are rigged

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the same thing sometimes too... in all seriousness

i don't know..
Old 10-07-2007, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I 9-table at the moment, and only have one 19" widescreen monitor. Don't be fooled into thinking you've got to drop 800 bucks on a second monitor, provided your eyesight is half decent.

[/ QUOTE ]
I could comfortably do about 6 or 7 before getting a second monitor. While it can be done, I think having that second monitor makes it quite a bit easier.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:16 AM

I have 2 19" widescreens. before I deposited cash I would watch 4 tabels on FT and 4 tables on stars. Honestly, I couldnt keep up with the action.

Maybe ill get there someday, but for now, i cant handle it.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I started with just one table at a time. Played that way for about six months, then moved to two tables. After another two months I added a third table, then a fourth.

I usually play four tables at a time. If I move up in stakes I play two tables, but I play two "Fast" tables if I'm only playing two. Once I get comfortable at the stakes I'm playing then I play four regular tables at a time with no problems.

In the name of God, if you are comfortable at all playing one table, then play two tables at a time. You're going to be folding 75% of your hands anyway. Odds are if you're only playing two tables they you won't be involved on both tables after the flop at the same time, so your concentration really won't be divided.

Playing more tables means you'll be playing more hands per hour. If you have a skill advantage then that means more profit for you. Also, playing more hands means less variance, since you'll play through your downswings faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play limit or NL?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:30 PM

i play 6 to 8 tables 6 max NL, and sometimes a couple of tourneys rarely play more then 8 tables total though,waaay back when i started, it was 1 tables, then, 2,4, etc,
still remember when i played 8 tables first 3-6 limit FR on party/empire/eurobet, when my day dream was to play 15-30 on party.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:49 PM

I find that I am much more focused when playing multiple tables.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i play 6 to 8 tables 6 max NL, and sometimes a couple of tourneys rarely play more then 8 tables total though,waaay back when i started, it was 1 tables, then, 2,4, etc,
still remember when i played 8 tables first 3-6 limit FR on party/empire/eurobet, when my day dream was to play 15-30 on party.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's got to be a trade-off, though, especially when playing NL. How do follow the action of hands you are not involved in?

Also, I would think your playing style would have to be pretty nitty. What happens when you facing critical decisions at more than 1 table at the same time? In NL, it seems that on every street, you have to think about things like pot control, stack sizes, what your opponent is likely to have, whether to try to price out a draw, whether to try a bluff, etc.

I find that I need a little time to decide how much to bet or raise and then it takes a little more time to adjust the slider. If I try to play more than 2 tables, not only can't I follow action on hands I am not involved in, but I'm afraid I might time out on a hand or not have enough time to make a good decision, which could be costly.

And what about note-taking? I can't do any note-taking playing more than 1 table, so do you multi-tablers routinely review your sessions and somehow take notes offline?
Old 10-07-2007, 02:03 PM

I 6 table FR, started with 1 and kept adding tables. I might be able to do 8 but I would need another screen.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:10 PM

i used to be the same way dan but now i play 20 sngs at a time. hard to play more than 8 mtts at a time tho