Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Yes, finally another Ron Paul-thread

[ QUOTE ]
So you'd be happy if you couldn't access 2p2 because they didn't give extra money to your current ISP and your ISP just happened to drop all the little ones and zeros you request for this particular domain name, or the same for any poker program you use.

Legislation based on morality is pretty annoying, I'll agree with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ISP wouldn't do that, if they wanted to retain my business. If they did, I would have plenty of other options in the free market.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:43 AM

But suppose these aforementioned sites couldn't pay racket money to all of them and all the ones in your area stopping giving access to them?

And don't say they wouldn't do that. That's exactly why ISPs were against Net Neutrality.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. He wants to get rid of federal income tax, which accounts for 1/3 of the total income of revenue for the federal government. He says that even with only the 2/3s of the current income the government should be able to fulfill its responsibilites properly. He says that 2/3s of the current budget is equal to 100% of the 2000-budget, so if government is able to cut spending down to the level of 2000 there is no need for income tax. My question is; is that true only dollar for dollar (income of 2007-dollars vs. output of 2000-dollars), or is that after he has adjusted for inflation and overall growth in prices?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point isn't to return spending to some arbitrary year. He just said that to show how the govt has increased spending too much, in his opinion. He wants to cut taxes because he believes the govt is wasteful and gets involved in projects that it has no business being in.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:44 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8

about 1 minute into that video he says that he wants government to stop printing all the money that ...."causes all the inflation"
Old 10-06-2007, 01:45 AM

Just a side topic: Imagine RP wins the election and Dems gain a useful majority in both houses of congress. What then? We get out of Iraq and... nothing else happens for four years because they can't agree on anything?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8

about 1 minute into that video he says that he wants government to stop printing all the money that ...."causes all the inflation"

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, seems like a few days ago someone posted a great thread explaining inflation and how going back to the gold standard would help combat/defeat it. It made enough sense to me, but I didn't retain it well enough to be able to explain it to someone else... like most things I learn. =/
Old 10-06-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Ron Paul wants to severely limit American military and active political presence in other countries, and rather just focus on trading with the various nations of the world. Will the US still be able to get the same deals and keep its position as an economic superpower without a more active presence throughout the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the question. You want to know if less military presence will stifle trade?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:50 AM

In the beginning of the video I linked to in my previous entry there are two quotes following each other to make a point that says that "eliminating 1/3 of the propsed 2007-budget would still leave 1,8trillion, a sum greater than the budget just 6 years ago in 2000...""Does anyone seriously believe that we could not find ways to cut spending back to 2000 levels?"
Old 10-06-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But suppose these aforementioned sites couldn't pay racket money to all of them and all the ones in your area stopping giving access to them?

And don't say they wouldn't do that. That's exactly why ISPs were against Net Neutrality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop looking for monsters under the bed. You realize that you are basically describing a conspiracy theory here, right? Why do people always assume that for-profit companies are always trying to hatch some scheme to [censored] over their customers. Free markets are really good at providing services that people want. If one ISP pisses off its customers it then opens the door for another company to take its place by providing a service that people want.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:55 AM

Basically I wonder if the US military and political presence throught the world does nothing to help the US secure good terms with other countries and therefore also opens up markets for the US that would otherwise be less accessible. It must also be seen in relation to what is likely to happen if another big power fills the void left by US, that maybe Russia or China can better their relations and make better deals with other nations when they do not have to compete with US for presence and power in the region and various nations. Or does the US involvement around the world nothing to ensure goodwill and mutual agreements with the various trade-partners?