Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: KK - I hate the way I played this

Very bad play. Raise flop to 15. No point in trying to mitigate the rest of the hand since you should never make this mistake again.

When an opponent half-pot donks like this it typically means they either have a draw or a marginal made hand. In either case, not raising is a major error. I leave it to you to figure out why.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very bad play. Raise flop to 15. No point in trying to mitigate the rest of the hand since you should never make this mistake again.

When an opponent half-pot donks like this it typically means they either have a draw or a marginal made hand. In either case, not raising is a major error. I leave it to you to figure out why.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you need to cut down his implied odds, because you will have to pay him off later when he hits if you just call because his range is so wide so you want to get your money in g0ot, aight? I seriously don't raise the flop enough anymore. I always think I need to get everyone and his dog to hang themselves...
Old 10-05-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you need to cut down his implied odds, because you will have to pay him off later when he hits if you just call because his range is so wide so you want to get your money in g0ot, aight? I seriously don't raise the flop enough anymore. I always think I need to get everyone and his dog to hang themselves...

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING

You get 3.5 out of 5. There's a couple other things to think about.

One is thing about what the real point of our raise is. Yeah, get more money in while ahead, protect from draws, cut implied odds, yada yada. But there's a reason why you do all those things that's common, and that's to get him to make the largest mistake possible. Remember from ToP that when he makes a mistake, we gain.

Another thing is your fancy play by trying to offer them rope. You say you don't want to let him off the hook, and I find this to be very prevelant at all levels really. But if he was prone to be overaggressive with a garbage hand, then that's an opportunity for you to get him to make a larger mistake by giving him another chance. You do that by raising. He will often jump on the opportunity, sometimes he'll even do something incredibly stupid, and that's when you win the pots that make your session.

So the best way to give someone rope is often to give hiom more chances by reopening the action.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:47 PM

I'd call down or raise the flop.

The EV of each is quite hard to compute or even guesstimate. If you call you often end up paying off draws, 8s and everything else so the EV of making him hang himself is reduced by paying off when he hits due to having little information.

On the other hand raising the flop reduces EV interms of killing bluffs, losing to 8x and stacking off, winning from other overpairs/Junk.

Im not sure what i chose, i'd probably raise 70% and call 30%. These percentages are meaningless.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the best way to give someone rope is often to give hiom more chances by reopening the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. If I'm ever asked what post/thread was the most helpfull to me, this one will be on the list.