Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Rebuy Tournament

b/c the object is to accumulate chips during the rebuy period. spending $$ on rebuys by itself does not equal accumulating chips. say you win a legit hand, pair over pair and one other player comes along for the ride with random low connected cards that miss & they both have you covered - you win the hand and you triple. then you win a flip with someone who has you covered. so now you have $60,000 in chips. you should no longer be going out of your way to rebuy. you should start playing tighter poker, protect those chips, but still try to accumulate if you can, recognizing which others are playing rebuy loose. it's cool to be willing to rebuy, but when you lose all your chips with 5 or ten minutes left, that may not be enough time to accumulate enough chips to survive long after the rebuy.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:12 PM

can mr. weak tight please please please stop posting?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't mind getting ragged on but i'd appreciate some logic, rationale, etc. at least i put some work into my post; and at least I'm right on this one. you, OTOH, just made a one line post which is the cardinal sin of this forum.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:06 PM

HOW THE [censored] ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY A POT WITH ONLY 3 PEOPLE IN IT? GOD DAMNIT YOU [censored] TARD.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't mind getting ragged on but i'd appreciate some logic, rationale, etc. at least i put some work into my post; and at least I'm right on this one. you, OTOH, just made a one line post which is the cardinal sin of this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

the rebuys are basically free. you have a 2 hour rebuy period. you shouldnt be playing tight with 4x the buyin, you should maybe slow down if you get to 1 million
Old 10-05-2007, 07:49 PM

u r assuming that everyone will play optimally. have you ever noticed that not everyone plays optimally? some people will not rebuy, and some will not rebuy enough, even in this hypothetical. after the first X # hands with most everyone all in with whatever, the people who've quadrupled, or whatever are going to tighten up. maybe i'm a little early when I'm saying to tighten up, but at some point, not everyone is going to go all in every hand. also, if it's everyone all-in every hand you're going to win about 1/9 of the time and lose about 8/9. you would have to get v v lucky to win more than 3 of those in a row (about 0.14%). If it's flips, your odds of winning 3 flips in a row are about 12.5%. so when you have accumulated some chips, you are going to need to preserve them, to some extent.

let's make it another example. everyone allin first hand and you're the lucky winner - you've now got 9x the starting chips. the most you can lose is to get back down to 7x the buy in, but are you still going to push any two cards? if you push 72o, 63o and A4s and lose, lose, lose, you could be back down to where you started. I'm not saying play regular TAGy poker during a rebuy. I'm saying not all in LAGY rebuy after you've reached an amount of chips that you're unlikely to get back to or past should you lose a few hands.

and regarding tightening up when you have 1 million in chips, maybe I'm low to say 60,000 but I suspect that 1 million is too high. You are not likely enough to win enough hands to get that high. also, as noted above, I'm advocating playing tighter, but still being rebuy conscious and playing off your opponents based upon how they are playing the rebuy.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:18 PM

PLEASE CAN A MOD BAN THIS GUY FROM POSTING IN THIS FORUM. PLEEEEEEEEASE
Old 10-06-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PLEASE CAN A MOD star THIS GUY for posting all caps one sentence no logic replies to a well thought out post . PLEEEEEEEEASE

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-06-2007, 10:23 AM

some people will not rebuy when they've paid $10k for one buyin and its one cent for another?

wow.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:27 AM

Pretty sure everyone at the table would be all in nearly every hand for the duration of the rebuy period to accumulate stacks (since every other table would be doing this as well)