Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Card Player Digest: The Best of Card Player 1988-1994

[ QUOTE ]
I bought this book at a library sale for $.10 today. (good deal eh?) I'm only four articles in, which were just about the history/evolution of poker, but its an entertaining read so far. I did see at least one article by Sklansky. I'll comment on the strategy content once I read it if there's any interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't mind, I'm curious as to how many articles Bob Ciaffone contributed and maybe a brief description of what they are about. I'm not much interested in limit hold'em and was wondering if all his articles are related to limit hold'em. Thanks...
Old 10-31-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Card Player Digest: The Best of Card Player 1988-1994

There are eight articles by Bob Ciaffone:

"Four Myths" - Talks about overvaluing confidence, aggression, etc. No specific NL content.

"How much should you bet" - Overbet with hands with bad reverse implied odds to win it 'now', overbet with TP+FD type hands.

"Position and the tactical raise" - 7stud strategy, cant comment, i've never played this game seriously.

"Reraising" - LHE strategy, again never played this game seriously

"How to play the current nuts" - half PLHE / half PLO. Pretty standard 'dont slowplay big vulnerable hands'.

"Bluffability" - Dont judge the value of your steals solely on the the tightness/looseness of your opponent. Dont bluff people who are stuck and tilting.

"Playing the nut straight in omaha" - no comment

"A tip on satelite play" - Shove liberally when your stack is only a few BBs

Overall, its not groundbreaking stuff and the content that is covered here is covered better elsewhere. Hope this helps.