Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Okay I am getting dedicated to getting lean. Need some advice.

[ QUOTE ]
The deadlift places more emphasis on your hamstrings, glutes and lower back, whereas the squat places more emphasis on your quads.

You shouldn't be doing heavy squats and deadlifts during the same workout, but you can do them during the same week. I squat on Mondays and do deadlifts on Fridays. The soreness from working out should go away after a couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

that makes sense since the body leans more forward in one and is more upright in another. and i wont attempt both on the same day then. i couldnt even come close to achieving that right now so glad i dont need to worry about it.

and ill be glad when the soreness is gone and ill not only be able to run again, but the lifting will make my running stronger.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Skip the structured workout schedule of back/biceps, chest/triceps, blah blah. Compound lifts 3 times a week. Squats, deadlifts, cleans/push-ups/bench press. [censored] all that other stuff. Machines are for prehab/rehab.

[/ QUOTE ]

functionally, what is the difference between a squat and a deadlift? the movements seems almost identical.

i just started working out again and am so sore from doing squats the first week there is no way i can do both squats AND deadlifts during the same workout right now. suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

The deadlift places more emphasis on your hamstrings, glutes and lower back, whereas the squat places more emphasis on your quads.

You shouldn't be doing heavy squats and deadlifts during the same workout, but you can do them during the same week. I squat on Mondays and do deadlifts on Fridays. The soreness from working out should go away after a couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYI,
Starting Strength has you doing squats every workout (3x5) and deadlifts every other workout (1x5). It's definitely doable.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Skip the structured workout schedule of back/biceps, chest/triceps, blah blah. Compound lifts 3 times a week. Squats, deadlifts, cleans/push-ups/bench press. [censored] all that other stuff. Machines are for prehab/rehab.

[/ QUOTE ]

functionally, what is the difference between a squat and a deadlift? the movements seems almost identical.

i just started working out again and am so sore from doing squats the first week there is no way i can do both squats AND deadlifts during the same workout right now. suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FYI,
Starting Strength has you doing squats every workout (3x5) and deadlifts every other workout (1x5). It's definitely doable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why I said you can't do "heavy" squats and DLs on the same day. You can do both if you moderate your intensity, which is what starting strength does. Though the version of 5x5 that I've used only has DLs once a week on wednesdays.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FYI,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why I said you can't do "heavy" squats and DLs on the same day. You can do both if you moderate your intensity, which is what starting strength does. Though the version of 5x5 that I've used only has DLs once a week on wednesdays.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I wasn't sure what you mean by heavy. The weights should be high enough so that you can barely do another rep. That's heavy. But they do reduce the volume on deadlifts to 1 set every other workout, which is probably what you are referring to by not going heavy. Anyways, yeah, doing a lot of both in the same day probably isn't sustainable for long.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 AM

Two weeks in and have actually had quite a bit of success. I am lifting Mon-Wed and Fri-Sun and doing cardio Tuesday,Thursday, and Saturday. I have cut out soft drinks,all fried foods, and late night whataburger, and have already lost 7 pounds(190 down to 183) I figure my ideal weight for 5'10 is about 175 so I am not to far off.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two weeks in and have actually had quite a bit of success. I am lifting Mon-Wed and Fri-Sun and doing cardio Tuesday,Thursday, and Saturday. I have cut out soft drinks,all fried foods, and late night whataburger, and have already lost 7 pounds(190 down to 183) I figure my ideal weight for 5'10 is about 175 so I am not to far off.

[/ QUOTE ]
good job, what are you eating instead?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:19 PM

Breakfast is usually eggs and oatmeal
Banana or apple mid morning
Ham or Turkey sandwich for lunch
Protein shake mid afternoon
Dinner whatever my wife cooks(just one plate now)

I have starting a new multi called Nutritox which has given me alot of energy, and I am also taking SuperPump 250 from Gaspari Nutrition for the gym.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 PM

180 this morning. I have a feeling a plateau is coming any day now. Still feeling really good but did have a little to much to drink Saturday night and did not work out on Sunday.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:55 PM

this morning I did an easy 3 mile jog, walked a half mile then did 4x440's on 1:50-2:00 with 2 minutes rest interval..I then ate a bagel w/sunflowerbutter-yum and half a banana and swam a Masters workout of 3100 yds in an hour..I'm kind of drained but doing those 440's is something I definetly need to to do to re-gain my running speed..as you get older you just lose the muscle memory to run well if you dont keep up with it. To reproduce the tempo/turnover that fast running requires you need to do speed work and yes short intervals of swimming or running will take weight off but like HITT it needs to be intense with short rest periods...

My current problem is that I'm doing alot of endurance training and it seems to be making it hard for me to improve on my PT. I do supersets for about 35 minutes 3 times weekly-which is just pullups/chinups, situps and pushups, usually do 6 sets. My back, tris and chests are much stronger over last 3 or so months...but I know some of the endurance training is eating into my strenght gains.