Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 03:47 AM

Default Re: High Scoring Vs. Low Scoring

Teams missing open shots is bad offense. Teams creating tournovers and always having a hand in the other teams face is good D. Not that confusing. Dallas was wide open the entire night and consistently missed. This was bad offense.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 AM

I like low scoring if it's the 90's knicks vs. the 90's heat..
Old 03-03-2006, 05:18 AM

roundmound,

are you actually so dumb as to think the question the OP is asking is meangingless? Obviously people would prefer a good game to a bad one, but a) not everyone defines good in the same way, and b) we can conceive of good games as being either primarily defense or offensive. In the case of a) do you define a "good game" as one in which the defenses were excellent or in which the offenses were excellent. In the case of b) if you had to watch one of two games, each of which showcased two teams playing at a high level and you knew that one was a low scoring affair and one was a high scoring one, which would you prefer to watch. How can you not get it?

cheers,
Snowden
Old 03-03-2006, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
roundmound,

are you actually so dumb as to think the question the OP is asking is meangingless? Obviously people would prefer a good game to a bad one, but a) not everyone defines good in the same way, and b) we can conceive of good games as being either primarily defense or offensive. In the case of a) do you define a "good game" as one in which the defenses were excellent or in which the offenses were excellent. In the case of b) if you had to watch one of two games, each of which showcased two teams playing at a high level and you knew that one was a low scoring affair and one was a high scoring one, which would you prefer to watch. How can you not get it?

cheers,
Snowden

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, Roundmound is one of the biggest trolls on this board. Just ignore him.

Also, your suggestion to put "Riley's Knicks vs Rotten Corpses" for NBA Defense... I wonder if people thought that was as "boring" and "defensively-stalwart" as Pistons-Pacers ECF in 2003...

Game 1: Pacers 78, Pistons 74
Game 2: Pistons 72, Pacers 67 (Tayshaun's block)
Game 3: Pistons 85, Pacers 78
Game 4: Pacers 83, Pistons 68
Game 5: Pistons 83, Pacers 65
Game 6: Pistons 69, Pacers 65

Highest point total was 85 points, 5 out of 12 scores in the 60s.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:44 PM

I usually favor defensive games in most sports. In baseball, it depends.

On TV, give me a good pitchers duel. At the park I want 13-12 wildness.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are just repeating the exact things I am talking about. I will say it again in caps, so next time you repeat it you should use caps too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just being a jerk for no reason, which is especially egregious given that this is not a particularly stupid post and the OP has been pleasant the whole time.

Of course there are good and bad games. That doesn't mean you can't have a general preference.

And the OP's point about leagues thinking they know what fans want but maybe being wrong is an interesting one, and seems to be at least plausible given the current poll results.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're just being a jerk for no reason, which is especially egregious given that this is not a particularly stupid post and the OP has been pleasant the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks...I was too into the thread last night for my own good. Then roundmound's responses put me on tilt and I went and stayed up late donking off a whole bunch of money at a few SNGs. Not good.

I'm glad people participated, the results have been interesting. Like the wide margin of support towards pitcher's duels. The only sad outcome for me is the indifference towards golf. Oh well...keeps the greens fees down.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like low scoring if it's the 90's knicks vs. the 90's heat..

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst basketball ever...except for that one shining moment where Jeff Van Gundy applied his kung fu grip to Alonzo Mourning's shin.

The Eastern Conference almost ruined the NBA in the first post-Jordan era. Thank goodness for O.J. spicing up the 1994 NBA finals.