Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: I\'m depressed and I haven\'t played a single hand yet

[ QUOTE ]
It might be worth your while to try to bust out a bunch of hands and make SN by the end of the year. It's just over 1000 vpps/day for the rest of the year, which isn't all THAT much if you can multitable..

[/ QUOTE ]

So with all the SN obsession is it the only way to get anything decent out of Stars? Are we talking about getting SN and buying the $1500 bonuses as a better source of income? Wow this is depressing.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
imo playing pstars 2/4-3/6 would be a terrible way to make dough. bunch of regulars, tons of blind stealing and hu spots, and like 2.5bb/100 in rake. these games play way differently than the old games of the past. if you do decide to slowly kill yourself, get supernova asap cuz you're going to be living on those fpps during your miserable life playing these games.

look up flaremvp, who i thought was a very solid multitabler, and you'll see even he had trouble with these games this year.

imo these game are surprisingly tough in relation to the stakes. i remember the old pacific and party games where you could beat the small stakes games for 2.5bb+/100 easily even with 4bb/100 rake. now a 1bb/100 wr makes you king of the hill. even if you beat these games for more than 1bb, you really ought to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true and that's why most people try and take shots and get through these two levels as fast as possible, especially 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took 8k off of FT but was only going to put 2-3k on Stars but am now thinking I should put the lot on and get to 5/10 as soon as. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2007, 08:19 PM

I've only played a handful at stars 5/10 recently, but I'm paying 2.00 BB / 100 in rake...
Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It might be worth your while to try to bust out a bunch of hands and make SN by the end of the year. It's just over 1000 vpps/day for the rest of the year, which isn't all THAT much if you can multitable..

[/ QUOTE ]

So with all the SN obsession is it the only way to get anything decent out of Stars? Are we talking about getting SN and buying the $1500 bonuses as a better source of income? Wow this is depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as a better source, but certainly a significant source.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:29 PM

No real chance of doing that sethypooh as it will take me probably 2 weeks or so of study to be ready again for limit. (Got to re-learn that whilst raising 2 limpers from the button with T8s might be fun in NL it is going to get your burned in min bet). Also once I do come back I will only be 4 tabling for first 5k hands or so until I get into my stride. That with working fulltime and having a family ....
Old 10-01-2007, 08:32 PM

Why do I see so many threads about 28/20 being the norm for 6 max small stakes now? Surely with the high rake and extra aggression of the games players should be playing tighter as less hands are profitable?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do I see so many threads about 28/20 being the norm for 6 max small stakes now? Surely with the high rake and extra aggression of the games players should be playing tighter as less hands are profitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

28/20 isn't the *norm* but it's reasonably close to optimal in a reasonably standard 'good' Stars game assuming post-flop superiority to your opponents. Probably a little tighter is better at 3/6 due to rake and the 1/3 structure. And there's no way I'd recommend jumping back in playing that way as 28/20 is significantly higher variance than 22/17 for a fairly modest increase in EV, which can lead to tilt and all sorts of other problems, not to mention the fact that you are probably pretty rusty at flinging poo...
Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

28/20 isn't the *norm* but it's reasonably close to optimal in a reasonably standard 'good' Stars game assuming post-flop superiority to your opponents. Probably a little tighter is better at 3/6 due to rake and the 1/3 structure. And there's no way I'd recommend jumping back in playing that way as 28/20 is significantly higher variance than 22/17 for a fairly modest increase in EV, which can lead to tilt and all sorts of other problems, not to mention the fact that you are probably pretty rusty at flinging poo...

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, what?? I thought the only way to win money at 6max was to sLag it up (at least 26/18) or you'll get run over.

You saying that I should tighten up at 2/4, given that I'm defeinitely not good enough to extract that tiny extra EV in value and offset the higher rake?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:07 PM

Tight is right at 2/4, IMO... You're paying 2.5BB/100 in rake and the pots are huge due to your awful opponent. Few large pots - less rake taken > Many small pots - more rake taken. Or maybe you are sacrificing some, but I inevitably enter monkey tilt playing LAG, so it's definately more +EV for me to TAG it up. Add in rakeback and it's easy to be in the black.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wait, what?? I thought the only way to win money at 6max was to sLag it up (at least 26/18) or you'll get run over.

[/ QUOTE ]

At 10/20 this is true. At 5/10, I guess it depends. The "getting run over" part is more a result of having to defend your blinds more from 85% (alleged) button raisers such as myself...