Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Race for newborns?

[ QUOTE ]
WTF is this thread serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is. It's on the internet, isn't it?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wondering what these individuals would put on a job application, that's all????

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever they self-identify as, I guess.

I mean, most people think Tiger Woods is black, when he is clearly Asian.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 PM

Once upon a time, there was an extensive language to describe the race of such people - but nowadays daring to resurrect the 19th century usages of words like yellow and quadroon will get you in at least as much trouble as nappy-headed will.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once upon a time, there was an extensive language to describe the race of such people - but nowadays daring to resurrect the 19th century usages of words like yellow and quadroon will get you in at least as much trouble as nappy-headed will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially since they are basically entirely meaningless terms. The "paint mixing" theory of genetics has long since gone by the wayside, although it was the accepted theory at one time.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wondering what these individuals would put on a job application, that's all????

[/ QUOTE ]

lol race on job application.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 PM

This stuff isn't simple, by any means. You can't use a rule of thumb to determine "race" without getting absurd.

The mother and father contribute equally to the phenotype of the offspring (ignoring technicalities), so it doesn't matter which is which. Most "black" people have plenty of "white" in them. Africa is a large continent and there are many ethnicities there, so even a "pure black" person can't be easily classified. And when a child is born, his genotype (and thus phenotype) is largely random, so it varies from case to case.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 PM

So if one of these newborn mixture of ethnicities grows up... Then commits a crime, it is up to whomever's disgression to determine his race or not.... So when it's on the news, that a 25 year old 6'2" "whatever race" male is wanted for kidnapping, it's up to the news station to determine the race???

The reason I brought this whole subject up was until now, I was always under the assumption that whatever the father was, the child was.... But today, I was speaking to a receptionist, whom had once worked in HR, and said that if the father is black and the mother is black, then the child is black..... She also said that if the father is white and the mother is black, then the child is indeed black....

But really who cares, it's just race....
Old 10-01-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if one of these newborn mixture of ethnicities grows up... Then commits a crime, it is up to whomever's disgression to determine his race or not.... So when it's on the news, that a 25 year old 6'2" "whatever race" male is wanted for kidnapping, it's up to the news station to determine the race???

[/ QUOTE ]

or the police or the witness.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I brought this whole subject up was until now, I was always under the assumption that whatever the father was, the child was....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[ QUOTE ]
But today, I was speaking to a receptionist, whom had once worked in HR, and said that if the father is black and the mother is black, then the child is black.....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[ QUOTE ]
She also said that if the father is white and the mother is black, then the child is indeed black....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[ QUOTE ]
But really who cares, it's just race....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 10-01-2007, 11:09 PM

The custom of race definition in the US is the "one drop rule." If there is any African ancestry, the person is labeled black. This stems partly from the practice in slavery of defining the status of children by the status of the mother. So if the mother is a slave, all children are slaves, even if the mother was an octoroon giving birth to her masters flour-white child. This insured that the institution of slavery was not threatened by elastic definitions of race. There were a fair number of slaves that we would call white.

A journalist was once visiting Papa Doc Duvalier, the dictator of Haiti. According to legend, the reporter asked Papa Doc what percentage of Haitians were African. Papa Doc replied "five percent." The reporter was dumbfounded, for all he could see was black faces. Papa Doc explained, "we use the one-drop rule too."

Imagine a graduated color line, with Yaphet Kotto on the very dark end, and Brittany spears at the other extreme. Colin Powell is located right next to Brittany. So on this big long color line, everybody through Powell is considered black.

YK_________________________________________________<u>CP</u>__BS

Ask yourself this. Why isn't it the other way? Why isn't 99% of the line considered white?

BTW, in Brazil, Powell is white. He's not considered white, or thought to be white, he IS white. Because race is a human invention, whose definition changes greatly in time and place.

For a white boy, Jimi Hendrix sure could play the blues! And my how the complexion of the KKK has changed!

[ QUOTE ]
that baby is blite. that baby is whack

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it! I'll use it!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 PM

It depends on who you ask. Back in the day there was the one drop rule, so if you had any African blood in your ancestry you were considered black (only they used more derogatory words back then). I'm sure there are more than a few people who still use this definition.

Now it seems like you are either whatever race you self-identify as. I'm pretty sure official forms ask, "with which racial group do you most closely identify?" or else they let you mark multiple categories. I personally hate the first question because it asks me to completely deny half of who I am, but whatever . . .